Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No hyphens in Address Book phone numbers

When I add phone numbers in address book it usually keeps the hyphens. But if I add a number with an extension, such as 716-555-1212 ext 72, it changes it to "7165551212ext76". which is much harder to read.

Is there a way to keep the hyphens in when I have a phone number with an extension???

Thanks!

DanK

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:56 AM

7 replies

Dec 1, 2012 10:25 AM in response to DanK

I just typed this number in as you describe, no problems at all.

Forget that, I entered the number in the e-mail field, when entered in the phone field I get the same result as you do ...

You could edit the card template and add a custom phone field to contain the extension (there is no specific extension field but custom works)

Mar 16, 2013 4:51 PM in response to DanK

This is what fixed it for me: I changed preferences to UK, hyphens were still missing, then changed back to United States and they magically reappeared. (my whole address book was imported from my old address book when I got a new mac). BUT - it still only show parens (xxx) for area code. Not my preferred choice, but at least it's not a solid line of #s now. Also, it will only show solid #s if you have text after a #. So if I wanted to tell myself "Joe's sister's" I'd just make that the custom field name. Other option is to put that stuff in the notes area. Thanks, Apple, for Nazi-fying the process. We have to do it YOUR way, don't we?

Message was edited by: DTinHPP for typos

No hyphens in Address Book phone numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.