Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G Drive 4TB only working via Firewire but not USB 3

Hi,

I just bought a G Drive 4TB with Firewire 800 and USB 3 as I was selling my old Mac Pro (tower) and needed to back up all my data off it. I successfully mounted and used the drive to back up my data from the Mac Pro onto the said drive via Firewire 800.

GDrive:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/HA643ZM/A/g-technology-4tb-g-drive-professiona l-external-hard-drive?fnode=5f&fs=m.tsCapacity%3D3to5tb

Ive just tried to plug the drive into my new Macbook Pro Retina via USB 3 and a message comes up saying the drive is not readable. I looked at it in Disk Utility and the drive says its formatted to MS-DOS.

User uploaded file

This is very strange as I had no problems backing up the data onto the drive. So, I tried connecting the drive via Firewire 800 (using a Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter) to my Macbook Pro Retina, and hey presto it works fine. When I look at it in Disk Utility, it says it is formatted to OS Exteneded Journaled - just like it should be.

VERY STRANGE!

So, can someone tell me why I can use the drive via Firewire 800 and not with USB 3?

Best,

Dom

Macbook Pro Retina

2.7GHZ Quad

16GB RAM

756GB HD

Mountain Lion

G Drive 4TB USB 3 and Firewire 800-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 2:57 PM

12 replies

Dec 1, 2012 3:25 PM in response to Dommy B

I assume you tried all of the USB ports on yout MBP.

Have you tried other USB devices on your MBP to see of the ports are in working order?

Have you tried other cables?

It could be that the USB connection on your G Drive is faulty.

If you are unable to test for all of these elements an appointment at the Apple store genius bar is the best and fastest way to diagnose that problem. Bring the G drive with you.

Ciao.

Dec 1, 2012 3:37 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Wow, I didnt expect such a quick response!

I have just tried the other USB port, same problem though.

My other USB 2.0 external hard drive works fine with it so I dont think its the Macbook's ports.

I have also just tried it with a USB 2.0 cable from my printer, same problem again though, so I guess its not a faulty cable.

So that leaves it to either a faulty G Drive port or a software issue.

Any thoughts? Would love not to have to into Apple to fix it!

Thanks!

Dom

Dec 1, 2012 4:23 PM in response to Dommy B

Not yet. What you have proven is the the USB 3 port id backward compatible to USB 2.

Do the G Drive specifications say that it is USB 2 compatible?

If it is then it still could be a faulty cable or the G drive. If not, It still could be the cable, the G drive and the MBP with out USB 3 function.

Do you have another USB 3 device such as a flash drive. If so, insert it to see if it functions properly.

It also is a possibility the this HDD needs its own driver. A call to the vendor might be a good idea.

Ciao.

Dec 1, 2012 4:37 PM in response to Dommy B

Reset the SMC as once you connect a USB 2 device to those ports the system switch to being USB 2 only. Once you do a SMC reset connect that G drive with the USB 3 cable that came with the drive.

But from your SS the system is seeing the drive but it says it is not initialized. Did you Format it on the Mac Pro to Mac Extended (Journaled) and with what version of OS X did you do that with.

Hopefully you still have the Mac Pro so if you do need to Re-Initialize that drive on the new MBP you can copy the data off your old Mac one more time.

Apr 25, 2013 9:57 AM in response to Shootist007

I have the exact same issue with G-Drive 4TB and USB 3.0 vs. FW800 on Mackbook pro 15" mid 2012.

In short - a drive formatted on USB 2 or 3 and connected to FW (or vice versa) and OSX requires reformatting the drive, yet the drive is infact Mac formatted and retains all data (unless you actually go ahead and format it). I have Lacie drives and WD drives that don't have this issue.

Tested on 2 separate Macbook pro computers (~2011 17" and mid 2012 15") both running OSX Mountain Lion. This issue did not happen on Bootcamp partition on the Macbook so obviously OSX related and G-drive specific. My desktop PC with macdrive software recognizes this drive in either USB 3.0 or FW (400) connections.

BUG bug BUG!!!

Please Apple, help me and fix this BUG!

Apr 25, 2013 11:56 AM in response to macDawg808

Hi macDawg808 -

I actually fixed mine. You need to contact G-Drive customer services. I did, and they sent me a download link for a firmware update. You have to format your drive when you do it but it fixed the problem.

To save you the hassle of contacting G-Drive though, I have uploaded the firmware update to this link where you can download it. Hope that helps.

http://we.tl/SSKEFPiwVH

Install and reformat. Easy as that!

Wow! I feel like a good citizen!

Cheers!

Dom

G Drive 4TB only working via Firewire but not USB 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.