Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 No Longer Able to Sync Contacts with Google?

Hello,

I sincerely apologize if I am posting a redundant topic here; however, I was unable to find any other posted solutions.

After upgrading to iTunes 11, I noticed that there is no longer an option to sync the contacts on my iPhone to my Google Contacts.

Is this a feature that has been removed? Or is there something that I am missing with the new interface?

Any assistance that you can provide is greatly appreciated, thank you!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:50 AM

I also immediately noticed this issue when I upgraded to iTunes 11. It will still sync your iPhone contacts to the address book on your Mac, but there is no longer the option of syncing directly with Google contacts.

There is still a way achieve your goal though. Open address book and go into preferences. Go to the Accounts tab. Set up synchronization with Google. You will see a sync icon in the menubar.

1) Google contacts will now sync with your address book. 2) iTunes will sync your address book with your iPhone contacts.

Fortunately, 2-way syncing is preserved. Unfortunately, it is now a 2-step process that adds another icon to your menubar.

Hopefully someone out there knows of a better solution.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2012 11:50 AM in response to PhilKry

I also immediately noticed this issue when I upgraded to iTunes 11. It will still sync your iPhone contacts to the address book on your Mac, but there is no longer the option of syncing directly with Google contacts.

There is still a way achieve your goal though. Open address book and go into preferences. Go to the Accounts tab. Set up synchronization with Google. You will see a sync icon in the menubar.

1) Google contacts will now sync with your address book. 2) iTunes will sync your address book with your iPhone contacts.

Fortunately, 2-way syncing is preserved. Unfortunately, it is now a 2-step process that adds another icon to your menubar.

Hopefully someone out there knows of a better solution.

Dec 11, 2012 8:04 PM in response to PhilKry

I am so beyond fed up with this and with Apple. THANK GOD I just switched to a Galaxy S3. The whole reason I did it is because iOS 6 crossed the line, especially with the removal of the native Google apps, only to replace Maps with the biggest joke of a maps app I have ever seen in my life. Within 5 minutes of turning on my new Android phone, literally every single feature, down to the most minor detail, was better than iPhone. Every iPhone user that has checked out my new phone says the same thing. I cannot find ONE thing that is better on the iPhone. Not ONE thing.

Before activating my new awesome phone, I wanted to sync my busted old piece of junk iPhone with Google contacts so I can seamlessly transfer them to the new phone, and lo & behold, I encounter even more of Apple's BS with regard to Google.

Apple, I can promise you this... by taking this stance against Google & making things SO much harder for your users, you are driving them away from Apple in DROVES, and straight into Googles open arms. Prepare to circle the drain. Switching to Android is the best decision I've made all year. I LOVE MY NEW PHONE!

Dec 15, 2012 1:04 PM in response to Nico M

Doing this may solve the problem for some people, but there are serious issues. I found this excerpt straight from Google's website regarding CardDAV syncing:

"The iOS device can synchronize up to 3 email addresses. Phone number synchronization is limited to 2 Home numbers, 1 Home Fax, 1 Mobile, 1 Pager, 3 Work (one will be labeled 'Company Main') and one Work Fax number."

Apr 11, 2013 1:37 AM in response to BeastPates

This works great but now I have duplicates of everything in my Mac Address Book! Hahaha! I could turn off the iCloud account and theoretically that should get rid of the dupes but then how will I sync new contacts to Google contacts without having to plug in my phone everytime?

Any ideas?

Thanks for the tip about syncing with google.

iTunes 11 No Longer Able to Sync Contacts with Google?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.