Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shift-Click in Finder

If I want to shift-click in Finder to select multiple files I am only able to do so while in "list" view. Is there any setting which also lets me do this in "icon" view as well?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 1:52 PM

7 replies

Dec 2, 2012 2:41 PM in response to Barney-15E

Still doesn't work. I started in Safe Mode and also relaunched Finder (first, before I restarted in Safe Mode and also relaunched while I was in Safe Mode).

For me while I am in Icon view the shift key behaves exactly like holding the Command key.

This beahvior is consistant on both my Mac Pro and my 2011 Macbook Air both running 10.8.2

Dec 17, 2012 4:27 AM in response to skeelo221

This has to be one of the silliest nuisances yet. You can't shift-click multiple files in Lion because you are in 'Icon View' (Thumbnail view).

I work in design and photography so Icon View is important to me, and the ability to select multiple files equally so. The switch to my new Retina Macbook Pro is feeling increasingly frustrating!

Jan 21, 2014 2:55 AM in response to glhicks

Agreed! I need to select photos from a folder, but more photos that can be shown on screen at one time. In icon view, I would like to select the first photo, scroll down to the last photo, shift+click the last photo and copy the files. This is such a simple and useful task I must be missing something. Windows has this feature. Surely an OS used by the graphics and photo industry can do this! Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

Jan 24, 2014 6:50 AM in response to Jasen Kavel

Yes it is ridiculous.

I had bought myself the best Retina Macbook Pro and it was sold within 10 months because of all the silly nuissances like this. I work in photography and design, and as you say hint it's an essential daily need to manipluate files en masse quickly and with control.

As touted as the Macs are for 'graphics' they leave much to be desired!!!

Shift-Click in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.