Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X stopped recognizing my external hard-drive events and projects!

Here's my problem:

I transferred a bunch of projects/events to an external hard drive a long time ago and now they aren't being recognized by Final Cut Pro X when I plug my external hard drive into my computer.

1. I don't remember if I just copied the files over to the hard drive or if I used Final Cut Pro X to tranfer them.

2. I have no room on my current hard drive so I need to access them off of my external drive.

3. My hard drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

As you can see, my "Toshiba" drive doesn't show up in my event library or project library:

User uploaded file

Anyone have any ideas?

Macbook 2Ghz Intel Core Two Duo 2GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:11 PM

20 replies

Dec 1, 2012 8:21 PM in response to Jacrim

Yep. That LOOKS like the root level. In fact, those look to be the ONLY folders on that drive. Right? So, if they are the first things you see when you open that drive... Yes. They are on the root level.

Next thing to suggest is to check "permissions" (repair "permissions.") on the HD / external HD. You do this in the Disk Utility. Open that sucker up and see what it is saying about your Toshiba.

Beyond that... some of the pro's in this forum will have to step in.

Dec 1, 2012 8:33 PM in response to Jacrim

Yes. I've the SAME greyed-out prompt on the current HD I'm using. (And it's working fine.(

User uploaded file

Let's keep this thread going. It's beyond me. Either our disk permissions do not "need" repairing... or perhaps we've to "verify" first. (Which it appears you have, since it "appears" to be OK! (green font.) Hmmm...

Interesting problem. I shall stay tuned for the solution! Again... this thread will work itself out. Frustrating!

Nov 17, 2013 9:11 PM in response to Jacrim

I'm having a similar problem and followed the same idea but with no luck. I still cannot get my external drive to come up in Final Cut. It's the correct format, the event folders are at the root level, I repaired both my Mac HD and the external. I'm running out of ways to troubleshoot. Does anybody have any potential solutions? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Final Cut Pro X stopped recognizing my external hard-drive events and projects!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.