Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data usage Plan limit ALERT required

Hi all,

I am using IDEA services for my Iphone4 mobile. As per the Service provider plan, I am getting a max limit of 512MB of 3G per month.

Last week, I had set my phone for periodical updates. My landline WiFi connection was active. I had also set the mobile data OFF by using

Settings>store>Use Mobile data (OFF)

Surprisingly next day I found that my 3G service data was used for the updates. I took the phone out to market and WiFi got disconnected.

I had to pay thousands of rupees as excess charges of using data beyond my plan limit.

The point is why should the Mobile data be used when it was set OFF? Once I left the Wifi area, it should have paused/stopped the updates.

Is there a setting OR an APP which will disconnect when preset limit of mobile data is reached?

Please help me find one FREE or Paid.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:58 PM

4 replies

Dec 2, 2012 5:51 AM in response to ankitk97

ankitk97 wrote:

I had also set the mobile data OFF by using

Settings>store>Use Mobile data (OFF)

That setting only affects content from the iTunes store, not all Cellular Data usage.

As already provided, to turn off Cellular data go to Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data > OFF.

With such a small data allotment, you're probably better off doing updates via iTunes on the computer whenever possible to avoid any possible data issues.

As for an app, try Dataman from the app store. It allows for setting limits and notifications prior to hitting those limits.

Dec 6, 2012 8:19 AM in response to diesel vdub

Still when it was set "not to use cellular data for downloads" why was it used? 😕

Actually at the market I switched on mobile data for browsing hoping that the downloads would be paused automatically. So I didn't pause them too. Earlier it used to give a message "app more than 20 mb, can't be downloaded on cellular network" and cancels the download. But now nothing like that is happening.

Also updates are from itunes store, so it shouldn't have downloaded them on cellular data.

And about Dataman, is it required to buy the pro version or normal is fine? Does it automatically switches OFF the cellular network when limit is reached or only gives an alert? I was searching for an app which would automatically switch OFF the cellular network when limit is reached, suppose i forgot to switch OFF cellular network and go to sleep and no wifi is there, my data limit would be blown off.

Dec 6, 2012 10:10 AM in response to ankitk97

ankitk97 wrote:

Still when it was set "not to use cellular data for downloads" why was it used? 😕

It's not... something else is using the data or you are mistaken about the setting being set.

ankitk97 wrote:

Earlier it used to give a message "app more than 20 mb, can't be downloaded on cellular network" and cancels the download. But now nothing like that is happening.

The limit was increased, I believe it is 50mb now, I could be mistaken on the exact amount.

Dataman does not switch off data, it simply provides a way to monitor the data being used. At least that is my understanding. I only have the free version. I personally do not care about usage as I have an unlimited data plan.

Data usage Plan limit ALERT required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.