Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally spilled coke on the key of my mac. Though everything works fine, they keys have become tight to press. What should I do now, will apple centre take care of it? Or is there any other way I can clean it.

I accidentally spilled coke on the key of my mac. Though everything works fine, they keys have become tight to press. What should I do now, will apple centre take care of it.

How can I get the sugar removed from the keys.

Can I remove the buttons and then some how clean the keyboard.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Keyboard buttons have become tight.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 4:51 AM

5 replies

Dec 2, 2012 5:14 AM in response to Anmol S

Anmol S wrote:

Will apple centre take care of it.

Apple will replace the keyboard of course, but it's not a warranty or AppleCare covered, and because user inflicted physical damage occured they will void your warranty/AppleCare.

If you have iFixit or another Mac repair fix it, it also violates the warranty/AppleCare as the new keyboard will have a different serial number.

So either way your screwed, just have to compare costs/coverage if there is a mistake with the keyboard replacment.

Any further problems from the liquid spill affecting other areas of the machine is not going to be covered and may appear later as the metal oxidizes takes time to appear.

I wouldn't spend more than the repair of the keyboard.

Dec 2, 2012 5:59 AM in response to Anmol S

This is for water spills but coke is much much worse.

Spill Cleaning

And, don't think that just because it was two teaspoons and not a glassful that there is a difference.

Some liquid has just spilled into your Mac. What should you do?

Do

• Immediately shut down the computer and unplug the power cord.
  • Remove the computer's battery (if you can)
  • Disconnect any peripherals (printers, iPods, scanners, cameras, etc.)
  • Lay the computer upside down on paper towels to get as much liquid as possible to drip out.
  • Note what was spilled on your Mac.
  • Bring the computer into an Apple store or AASP as soon as possible.

Don't

• Don't try to turn it back on. Liquids can help electrical current move about the components of your Mac in destructive ways.
  • Don't shake the computer (this will only spread the liquid around).
  • Don't use a hair dryer on it (even at a low setting a hair dryer will damage sensitive components).
  • Do not put in a bag of rice in as much as rice will get into the ports and optical drive and do further damage.

Dec 2, 2012 6:45 AM in response to Anmol S

If I were in your situation I would get several pressurized cans of non-residue electrical cleaner and a soft artists brush and spray the keyboard using the brush in order to dislodge and wash away the sugar and other contaminents. Take out the battery first.

No doubt others on the forum will scream HERETIC! Burn the heretic

I on the other hand believe that this is not a high risk proposition but actually increases the chances for a longer life for your MBP. Doing nothing will increase the possibility that the contaminants will migrate (due to humidity) in to other internal parts of your MBP and then it will start to malfunction of expire.

Ciao.

I accidentally spilled coke on the key of my mac. Though everything works fine, they keys have become tight to press. What should I do now, will apple centre take care of it? Or is there any other way I can clean it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.