Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seeing something weird with Mail

I found this behavior when I tried to drag an email from Mail into another app. We didn't see the normal behavior so I did some testing and found it looks like a system issue, not an app issue.

My understanding is that if I drag an email into the Finder, like to my desktop, that if I double click on that item the email will then be opened. But that is not happening. Instead, the Mail app becomes active and that's it. The email isn't opened, Mail doesn't even switch to the folder the email is residing in.

So I guess I have a couple of questions.

1. Is the normal behavior here for the email to be opened?

2. If so, any clue why it's not happening here?

Thanks.

FYI, I'm on a year old Macbook Pro running the latest version of Mountain Lion.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:22 AM

1 reply

Dec 2, 2012 5:43 PM in response to conejo61

Back up all data.

Quit Mail. In the Finder, select Go Go to Folder from the menu bar, copy the text on the line below into the box that opens, and press return:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

A Finder window should open with a folder named "com.apple.mail" selected. If it does, move the selected foldernot just its contents — to the Desktop. Relaunch Mail and test.

Caution: If you change any of the contents of the sandbox, but leave the folder itself in place, Mail may crash or not launch at all. Moving the whole sandbox will cause it to be rebuilt automatically.

Seeing something weird with Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.