Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install Windows 7 32-bit using Boot Camp

User uploaded file

I have one of the new iMacs (late 2012) and I can't install Windows 7 32-bit using Boot Camp. Whenever I try to being the installation using the Boot Camp Assistant, I always get the following message: "Need 64-bit Windows installation USB drive or DVD. Boot Camp only supports 64-bit Windows installation on this platform. Please use an USB drive or DVD which contains 64-bit Windows". I have successfully installed 32-bit Windows on my Macbook Pro that is running the same version of Mac OS X and Boot Camp, but I don't know why on this new iMac it doesn't allow me to. Apple's documentation states that I should be able to install either 32-bit and 64-bit without any problem, but this is not the case here. I can't find anything about this problem/error on the Internet either. HELP!!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 5:05 AM

27 replies

Dec 2, 2012 5:08 AM in response to dioshy

I didn't know it. I think that Apple doesn't allow 32-bit Windows on a Late 2012 iMac because of the memory: a 32-bit Windows can only detect less than 4 GB of memory, so you won't be able to use all your RAM. If you've purchased Windows, you have 32 and 64-bit editions, so create a bootable USB drive with a 64-bit Windows version

Dec 2, 2012 5:35 AM in response to mende1

Just talked to Apple Support over the phone and they told me that 32-bit versions are not supported, which contradicts what they have published on their Boot Camp documentation (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1899). What a shame, Apple!!! Not a happy camper here... Although I hate Windows with all my heart, I have made a living troubleshooting and fixing it, and I need to run the 32-bit version of the OS natively, and now I can't.

Dec 3, 2012 6:34 AM in response to AidenT

AidenT wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4529810?tstart=0

I got some workarounds using another Mac that did support Win7 32 bit

The main issue I have involves running some apps that only works on the 32 bit version and I don't want to run a VM.

What apps only run on 32 bit Windows? Windows 64 bit runs all 32 bit apps I know of, but that is not to say there are not some.

Dec 3, 2012 9:58 AM in response to Csound1

I have firmware update tools from EMM Labs and Playback Designs that specifically states only 32 bit Windows is supported. Considering how much the gear costs, I am not inclined to test the firmware update running an unsupported OS.

The other app that I can confirm fails when I used 64 bit Windows and failed is the PS3 SACD ripper which creates DFF files from the ISO.

Dec 3, 2012 10:28 AM in response to Csound1

As the OP stated, Apple's original stance is that BOTH 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7 are supported. Thus it is not unreasonable to expect them to fulfill that promise.

As for why the updates still use Windows 32 bit, I suspect it has primarily to do with the firmware flashing of embedded processors where it is common place to use 32 bit command prompt apps, even for modern gear.

Even Windows 8 released in the last month provides a 32 bit option which shows just how entrenched 32 bit support is needed.

While this Bootcamp issue seems to affect the only new Mini 2012, and my old MBA 2011/2010 and Mini 2010 still support 32 bit Windows, it is a bit worrying if Apple intends to phase them out.

Dec 3, 2012 10:55 AM in response to Csound1

Yes, circumstances do change but if Apple is, as they claim to be, serious about seamlessly migrating what is still a large and dominant market share of users from Windows, supporting 32 bit versions is not a nice to have, but a must have.

I don't see why users have to make excuses when there is a clear shortfall of what is promised.

In other discussions, there is talk of an opportunity for Apple to make a significant impact, as Windows 8 has deviated so much from the comfort zone of traditional Windows users. But to make that change, Macs have to support what is still a primarily 32 bit environment in the installed base.

As for the use of VMs, I had a tough time migrating out of Parallels 6 after an upgrade to Mountain Lion broke compatibility so IMHO it is not a long term solution unless you are happy to hand out $50 every 2-3 years just to support the same functionality.

Dec 3, 2012 11:05 AM in response to AidenT

AidenT wrote:

Yes, circumstances do change but if Apple is, as they claim to be, serious about seamlessly migrating what is still a large and dominant market share of users from Windows, supporting 32 bit versions is not a nice to have, but a must have.

I don't see why users have to make excuses when there is a clear shortfall of what is promised.

In other discussions, there is talk of an opportunity for Apple to make a significant impact, as Windows 8 has deviated so much from the comfort zone of traditional Windows users. But to make that change, Macs have to support what is still a primarily 32 bit environment in the installed base.

As for the use of VMs, I had a tough time migrating out of Parallels 6 after an upgrade to Mountain Lion broke compatibility so IMHO it is not a long term solution unless you are happy to hand out $50 every 2-3 years just to support the same functionality.

Use Virtual Box, it's free.

32 bit may have a reasonable user base but it's going away fast, if you must use 32 bit Windows and won't use a VM your choice is limited.

Buy a PC, or buy an older Mac.

The rest of your post is speculative and I won't go there.

Dec 3, 2012 11:20 AM in response to Csound1

Yes I migrated to VBox but I had to port the VM from parallels to VM Fusion trial first and then to VBox. It's not a simple one step process.

Plus upgrading the base OS like fr Lion to Mt Lion can break compatibility with the hypervisors, hence a bootcamp partition is IMHO less risky.

And Macs get upgraded every 6 months to a year, so eventually you cant buy an older model Mac that still supports 32 bit Windows.

I'm not sure why you keep touting the "buy a PC" line. Isn't that why Bootcamp was such a big deal. And as I posted earlier, there are workarounds which I have attempted and am sharing with others in this predicament. Getting Apple to support them officially is a better long term solution. The chipsets and components that Apple uses share common suppliers to the PC world and they too provide 32 bit drivers so the effort needed from Apple isnt as extensive.

Dec 3, 2012 11:25 AM in response to AidenT

AidenT wrote:

I'm not sure why you keep touting the "buy a PC" line. Isn't that why Bootcamp was such a big deal. And as I posted earlier, there are workarounds which I have attempted and am sharing with others in this predicament. Getting Apple to support them officially is a better long term solution. The chipsets and components that Apple uses share common suppliers to the PC world and they too provide 32 bit drivers so the effort needed from Apple isnt as extensive.

As you can not do what you want on your Mac (or any new Mac) what do you plan to do fix your issue, complaining here may feel good but the problem remains.

So, as I said before, buy a PC or an old Mac.

Dec 3, 2012 11:53 AM in response to Csound1

I guess you missed the part where I posted drivers from Intel and how you could find drivers from Apple's other Bootcamp installers.

There are workarounds.

But it's only a short term one unless Apple can be convinced to continue to support it.

Isn't it why Apple has a support discussion like this? So they can ascertain the needs of the community?

Cannot install Windows 7 32-bit using Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.