Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac with OsX 10.7 Lion...Fan Issue

Hello,

I am having an issue with my iMac fan. It is running at seemingly maxed-out speeds (4500rpms) right from start up. No resources being used but the fan is absolutely roaring. I have installed a new HD and the LCD screen is broken. I'm using an external display. It was a clean install. The computer is working fine besides the fan. The system temperature is a cool 27 degrees celsius. I am wondering if there is any way to control the fan speed manually? I have downloaded and tried all the main fan utilities I could. SMC Fanc control, HDD Fan Control, Fan Control 1.2. All of these work for cooling down a hot computer, but none of them allow me to override the regular system settings. I am willing to risk managing the temperature myself. Right now the computer is so loud its barely usable. After 30 seconds you can't take the annoying humm.

Any help in slowing down the fan would be great. I already reset the SMC by powering down, unplugging for 15 seconds, plugging back in, waiting 5 secs and restarting. Didn't work. I also reset the NVPRAM (or whatever its called). With the temperature not being an issue, I'd really like to slow down the fan. I can monitor the temperature and bump the fan up when needed. But right now I just can't get the fan to slow down at all. All three fans are running between 3500-4500 rpms.

Help!

Ryan

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), fan running to the max. normal temp

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:34 AM

There are no replies.

iMac with OsX 10.7 Lion...Fan Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.