Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

partition error. couldn't unmount disk

I new buy mac mini 2012. I have osx mountain lion.

When I create a partition get error "Partition Error". "Couldn't unmount disk"

I haven't OS now. Because I removed its.

I can't create partition under 500 GB HDD.

And I'cant see Recover HD.

My disk Utility Screen:

User uploaded file

When I create partition I get below error pop-up message.

User uploaded file

When I browse for Image I see Recover HD.

User uploaded file

finally. "diskutil list" typing in terminal list disks.

User uploaded file

Please

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:51 AM

12 replies

Dec 2, 2012 9:40 AM in response to macjack

When your internet recovery is done, you may or may not still have those partitions on your disk. The first thing I'd suggest is to make a clone of your OS X volume to an external hard drive. Then, if you need to you can erase and repartition your internal and just clone the system back.

It's really not adviseable to partition your main drive.

Apr 12, 2013 7:48 AM in response to macjack

My macbook air (OS x lion ) hard disk got crashed. now it starts with a grey screen and MAC OS X utilities. in the disk utility, the hard disk icon became inactive. when i erased the disk it became active again but i am still not able to partition it. it showed -- "Partition Error". "Couldn't unmount disk". now the disk icon became inactive again. when i click on mount it becomes active again but partioning is not done after many attempts.

another problem: - when it I click to proceed with the installation (still unpartitioned) it verifies my macbook's eligibility and says that the machine information is not with apple. below are the screenshots.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

is there any internet issue, i got connected on my institute's wi-fi (excellent speed- 54mbps)

Apr 14, 2013 10:02 AM in response to sirfvijay1

Make sure you are using Internet Recovery by holding down Command-Option-R (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718), this should prompt you for a full reinstall. When you get the message "Your eligibility will be verified" make sure you are connected to the internet. If you still can't install from here then you need to access the Mac App Store and re-download Lion from there.

If you are unable to do any of the above you have a drive issue and need to take it to the Apple Store.

Good luck!

partition error. couldn't unmount disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.