3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2012 11:38 AM by Demo
XtremeArtists Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I've noticed I can connect from my iPhone 4S to an iPad Mini when we are both using wifi.

Howver, I cannot connect to the iPad when I am using cellular only (no wifi) on the iPhone (the iPad is wifi only).

I can connect to other iPhones when we both use cellular, so I know it's not an issue due to a carrier restriction of my cellular use (Verizon).

Is there an incompatiblity between using facetime from a cellular device to a wifi-only device? I would have though Apple would have a bridge between internet and cellular data for this.

Thanks

iPhone 4S, iOS 6
  • Demo Level 10 Level 10 (81,880 points)

This is copied from the Apple iOS features website.

*FaceTime video calling requires a FaceTime-enabled device for the caller and recipient and a Wi-Fi connection. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Availability over a cellular network depends on carrier policies; data charges may apply.

Sometimes I find the "small print" to be even more confusing, but the way that I interpret this is that you have to go cellular to cellular. Cellular to WiFi doesn't work. It does seem to make sense, if you are sending the "message" or trying to connect over cellular, the person on the other end would need to pick up the "message" via cellular since it was sent that way by you.

• XtremeArtists Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

It's open to interpretation (for sure), but you may be right. I'll assume that's the case unless someone reports that it works for them

Thanks

• Demo Level 10 Level 10 (81,880 points)

XtremeArtists wrote:

It's open to interpretation (for sure),

Agreed. That's why I stated it the way that I did.