Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just installed Aperture on my MacBook Pro and assigned my iPhoto Library as my Aperture Library. When I open Aperture, I see my old projects. However, when I try to import a project, I am unable to find even the library in the lower panel. Where is it?

I open Aperture, I see my old projects. However, when I try to import a project, I am unable to find even the library in the lower panel. Where is it?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:44 AM

Switching from iPhoto to Aperture there is a confusion of terminology:

• iPhoto events are shown in Aperture as projects - projects are where images are imported to.
  • iPhoto projects (books, calendars, cards) cannot be viewed or edited in Aperture. To work with your iPhoto print projects or view your iPhoto slideshows open the library again in iPhoto.

However, when I try to import a project, I am unable to find even the library in the lower panel. Where is it?

I am not sure what you are asking. How are you you trying to import, and what kind of project? Are you trying to import another iPhoto library? And the "lower panel" in which window? Please explain more.

Regards

Léonie

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2012 11:44 AM in response to DanKinney2367

Switching from iPhoto to Aperture there is a confusion of terminology:

• iPhoto events are shown in Aperture as projects - projects are where images are imported to.
  • iPhoto projects (books, calendars, cards) cannot be viewed or edited in Aperture. To work with your iPhoto print projects or view your iPhoto slideshows open the library again in iPhoto.

However, when I try to import a project, I am unable to find even the library in the lower panel. Where is it?

I am not sure what you are asking. How are you you trying to import, and what kind of project? Are you trying to import another iPhoto library? And the "lower panel" in which window? Please explain more.

Regards

Léonie

Dec 2, 2012 1:29 PM in response to léonie

Sorry - I used incorrect terminology. Let me restate my problem.

I just installed Aperture on my MacBook Pro and assigned my iPhoto library as my Aperture library. When I open Aperture, I see my old iPhoto events in the main panel labeled Projects. However, when I try to import a project to work on it (by pressing the large Import arrow at the top left), I am presented with a new screen with gray panels that contain file structurs at the bottom center (looks like a Finder). I then look through the file structure to locate the iPhoto library (which contains my iPhoto events and specific photos I'm interested in accessing). But I'm unable to find the library, let alone the events or photos? I can find my hard drive, "users", spicific user (me), and pictures. Within the pictures folder, where I should find my iPhoto library along with eight other folders/files, I see only two folders. I can go to a normal Finder screen and burrow down to the iPhoto library. Why can't I see the iPhot library in Aperture?

Again, I apologize for using incorrect terminology. Does this make the situation clearer?

Respectfully,

Dan

Dec 2, 2012 2:00 PM in response to DanKinney2367

Dan,

o.k., I think I understand now.

When I open Aperture, I see my old iPhoto events in the main panel labeled Projects.

You have opened you iPhoto Library as Aperture Library in Aperture. There is no need to import your iPhoto Library, and it is impossible to do so. Aperture will hid ethe curret library that you are using.

You can start to work with your iPhoto photos right from where you are. Click on one of the projects, and you will see all your iPhoto photos as images in the Aperture projects.

However, when I try to import a project to work on it (by pressing the large Import arrow at the top left), I am presented with a new screen with gray panels that contain file structurs at the bottom center (looks like a Finder).

This import panel will allow you to import additional files and folders, but not the library that you are currently browsing, for you would be importing the library into itself.

Again, I apologize for using incorrect terminology. Does this make the situation clearer?

No reason to apologize - a transit from one paradigma and diction to another is always confusing, and Apple does not provide a guide for switching between these applications.

What is it, that you want to do? You can either open your iPhoto library in Aperture, like you are doing now, and continue from there, without any import necessary; or you could create a new Aperture library and import your iPhoto library into Aperture (with "File > Import > Library", then select your iPhoto Library). This will create a new Aperture library, containing a duplicate of your iPhoto Library. But this would only be necessary, if you have several iPhoto libraries that you want to unite. I hope this is clear, if not, please ask back!

Regards

Léonie

Dec 2, 2012 3:24 PM in response to DanKinney2367

Thank you very much. Along with the new Aperture program, I purchased what seems to be a very good tutorial from the Apps Store. Its called Learn Aperture. However, I've only gone through the Introduction and Import lessons so far. It was in the Import lesson that I got lost. I didn't understand that the iPhoto library was already imported. I wanted to apply some of the import settings to one event/project as was discribed in the tutorial. I want to remame all the photos in an Aperture project with a new name and sequence number. I also want to apply an Auto correction to all the photos. I will assume I will learn how to accomplish these things in a later lesson.

I've watched the Import tutorial again since your instruction above - It makes a lot more sense this time through. Thanks again for your help.

Very Respectfully,

Dan

Dec 2, 2012 3:56 PM in response to DanKinney2367

You are welcome,

To rename all images in a project, that already has been imported, use the "Batch change" command, see the excellent Aperture User Manual: Batch Changing Metadata

• Select the images in the project, and then use the menu entry "Metadata > Batch Change". You can change the version name, the time zone, and apply meta data presets for keywords and any kind of presets.
  • To apply adjustments, like Auto enhance, to many images at once after the import, adjust one image and then use the "Lift & Stamp" tool to lift the adjustment from one image and to stamp all others with the same settings, see: Applying Adjustments to a Group of Images

Enjoy Aperture!

Regards

Léonie

I just installed Aperture on my MacBook Pro and assigned my iPhoto Library as my Aperture Library. When I open Aperture, I see my old projects. However, when I try to import a project, I am unable to find even the library in the lower panel. Where is it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.