Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Album Artwork missing after iTunes 11 update

After updating my iTunes to the latest version, much of my album artwork has gone.

I spent MONTHS adding over 700 CD's to my collection and during this time spent countless hours online searching for correct artwork where missing and adding to the library. I have had no problems with this for over a year until this update.

Highly annoyed....

MAC OS 10.8.2

Macbook Pro

Mac mini

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 1:14 PM

43 replies

Dec 4, 2017 12:44 PM in response to mswcpt

This still happens to me on occasion. Got tired of the repetitive get info, cancel, right arrow task and wrote a short AppleScript automation for it. Just change the repeat number to the proper amount - although I found it more effective to go in short bursts.

activate application "iTunes"

repeat 37 times

tell application "System Events"

delay 2

keystroke "i" using {command down}

key code 53

key code 124

end tell

end repeat

Dec 2, 2012 2:33 PM in response to mswcpt

Click on playlists on the side bar. You should be able to generate a display similar to this:

User uploaded file

In the upper right hand corner you should see these icons:

User uploaded file

Click on view and you will see this list:

User uploaded file

Click on those options which will give you different formats.

As I said the artwork is still there, you just will have to set it up to your tastes. The old coverflow format is no longer available. Even your screen shot indicates that you still have your artwork.

Incidentally, I approve of your musical taste.

Ciao

Dec 2, 2012 10:33 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi -

thanks for the help. I tried this, but I am still missing the ablum artwork of many of the albums 😟 Please see more screen-grabs of the different view options - you can see that much of the album artwork is missing!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Hope I can somehow sort this out.

Rgds.

PS - glad you like it! I'm a music educator & composer doing doctoral degree/research at university.

Dec 3, 2012 2:42 AM in response to mswcpt

I assume that you had artwork for all of your CDs and that all of the musical note icons represent a missing piece of art work. Sadly I do not have an explanation nor solution for you in this case.

This is a significant alteration in ITunes and all users are going to have to learn the differences and changes from the old version. I'm still holding my verdict whether this is for the better. I have not looked into it very much to date.

It looks like we both have discovered problems with the new iTunes. In researching your issue I find that some of my playlists have missing tracks. My hope is that this will be minimal since my iTunes library is about 1200+ CDs (93 GB).

May I suggest that you post this issue in the iTunes forum. The users there concentrate on this application and your chances of finding answers and solutions are much better there.

As an aside, who do rate as the best of all time, Mozart, Beethoven or a different composer? My father and I had such a discussion and we differed. A one word response will suffice.

Ciao.

Dec 3, 2012 3:11 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi -

Yes - every single albim artwork/cover was correct and showing/avialble for each and every albim in my collection prior to this update. This was the case for over a year now. Actually this is a bigger problem than I thought, because in truth I also have close to 1300 albums - checked the entire library - and it seems that roughly 60-70 percent of the artwork is now missing. I will post this as per your suggestion in the iTunes specific forum.

Thanks again for your help!

RE: composer: unfortunately there is in my professional opinion no one word answer possible that would name one to contribute to an answer musicologically, so my answer is both and MANY more for different musical reasons. 🙂

Dec 3, 2012 5:11 AM in response to mswcpt

A thought just occurred to me which is the obvious advice I should have mentioned immediately. With the assumption that you have a backup, all of the art work should be present there. You might even consider reverting back to the prior edition of iTunes and install the current version when this bug has been rectified or that there is some work around discovered.

Ciao.

Dec 3, 2012 8:37 AM in response to mswcpt

I have the same problem, the artwork is randomly not displaying at all on grid view from my 20,000+ songs collection. For now if you want to do this, which is a pain since there is no preview box at the lower left hand corner to check (even that is a pain), I just do the following:

For example, a song that you know had previously showing artwork, open Get Info, and go to Artwork tab. Your artwork should still be there but not displaying after iTunes 11. Drag the artwork out to your desktop, delete the artwork inside Get Info, and then drag the one on the desktop back. This will make iTunes think there is a new Artwork just added. And you will see it on the grid and it will display correctly once again.

Or better just hope that the next update will correct this problem by itself if you have a large library.

Well I really don't know if iTunes 11 lives up to the hype. It may looks cleaner but the functions are going backwards especially in the MUSIC library. It may look better in iTunes Store or when you plug an iDevice to it. But for the music library, it is definitely many step backwards.

Dec 3, 2012 9:44 AM in response to Raymond Kong1

Raymond - I can't agree with you more. Why on earth is a supposedly "music centered application" FAILING to deliver on the vernacular which describes it!? Very disappointed with this update so far. The boffins @ the iTunes specific forum have said nothing other than it is a bug - so wait... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4566628?answerId=20473733022#20473733022

Unfortunately, to do what you suggest to get the artwork back would take me months again...

Cheers,

Dec 19, 2012 6:30 PM in response to mswcpt

I am experiencing the same problem as outlined by mswcpt. I have roughly 2,500 albums and they all have embedded album art - someting I have manually added over the years. But in this iTunes 11 the album art is not being displayed for a large random number of them - my guess 40 to 50%.

There was talk here of this being a known bug and that it would be fixed in an upcoming release. There was an updated release last week - 11.0.1 - and I am wondering if that fixed anything for any of you?

I am running this latest release and it's not helping me.

Dec 19, 2012 10:03 PM in response to Brovig

Hi again everyone -

I have noticed something:

A fresh install of iTunes on a seperate machine and then a fresh import of my original library - by importing all the mp3 files form one massive folder, did the trick! All the album artwork was back and seems to be STAYING there...

If you have a seperate machine to test that - do it. Otherwise - copy all of your mp3 files to an external drive, then delete the entire library from within iTunes - cmd+A to select and press cmd+backspace to delete. Then re-add the whole lot from the external drive copy.

Try it and post if this solves it.

Album Artwork missing after iTunes 11 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.