Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

appleworks cwk files will not open in pages or numbers

I use AppleWorks 6.2.9. Since my upgrade to 10.6.8 AppleWorks will not permit the settings in any document to be changed with first quitting AppleWorks, removing the plist, restarting AW, and opening the file a second time. This is annoying. So, I am looking into moving to Pages and Numbers for my AW word processing and spreadsheet documents. Pages '09 trail was downloaded from the network and no document selected can be opened by either program. I simply get a dialog stating "File could not be opened".

Nor will Pages or Numbers opened these files that were translated into a different format by MacLinkPlus. Basically Pages and Numbers can not process and .cwk, .doc, or .xls file on my computer.

I am looking for solutions.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), various Macs w/ OS 8.6 to X 10.4.11

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 2:30 PM

1 reply

Dec 2, 2012 5:27 PM in response to jchiko

I don't have any Appleworks files but Numbers & Pages users manuals say they will import Appleworks 6 files. I can't say why yours will not if they are Appleworks 6 documents.

I also don't have MacLinkPlus but it might be doing one of two things: saving in a pre-'97 format of Excel or saving with non-standard header information in the file that Numbers does not understand.

I'm not being of much help so far. I've been looking all over and haven't found a solution for you. Sorry.

appleworks cwk files will not open in pages or numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.