Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to turn off (and back on when needed), the wireless function on my airport extreme using airport utility. My computer is hardwired through the extreme, but I want to have the ability to turn on and off the wireless signal emitting from the extreme

how can i turn off (and back on when needed), the wireless function on my airport extreme using airport utility. my computer is hardwired through the extreme but I want to have the ability to turn on and off the wireless signal which emits from the extreme and do this via the airport utility set up.

I do not want to mess up my network internet settings at all. thanks

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 3:01 PM

16 replies

Dec 2, 2012 4:49 PM in response to Bob Timmons

airport utility- select the wireless tab

under "network mode" choose OFF

this results in you losing your wifi settings and you would have to enter them again when u want to turn wifi on again

i airport utility 5.6 you can save a profile for OFF and another for ON which u can switch more easilyUser uploaded filehere you can see the profiles tab on the bottom of the utility

Dec 2, 2012 5:12 PM in response to alanoconnor

A user who is asking how to turn off wireless is going to have nightmares trying to learn how to set up and administer Profiles.

I was hoping that laurenpaul will post back to tell us what version of AirPort Utility he/she is using.

What you have for 5.6 is correct, but that will likely be confusing if AirPort Utility 6.1 is what is being used.

Might it be better to wait for a bit more info, so we can provide the options for answers with the correct screenshots for the utility that is being used?

Dec 2, 2012 9:07 PM in response to laurenpaul

Easy to turn off the Wifi, but a bit more complicated to turn it back on. Here are the screenshots for AirPort Utility 6.1:

To completely turn off the wireless radio signal on the AirPort Extreme......

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Extreme icon

Click Edit

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the window

Change the setting for Network Mode to Off

Click Update to save the settings and the AirPort Extreme will restart in about 30 seconds

User uploaded file

To turn the wireless function back on, perform the same steps above to reach the Wireless tab

Change the Network Mode to Create a wireless network

Type in the name of your Wireless Network

Set Wireless Security to WPA2 Personal

Enter your wireless password and confirm

Cllick Update to save the settings and the AirPort Extreme will restart in about 30 seconds

User uploaded file

If this seem too complicated, there is another possibly simpler option, mentioned previously by alanoconnor, but it will be a setting to either allow wireless devices to connect to your network, or not connect.

This option will not turn off the wireless radio on your AirPort Extreme, the wireless radio will remain on at all times, something that you may not want.

Dec 7, 2012 10:57 PM in response to laurenpaul

thank you , I was finally able to do this this evening. I do have 2 green lights on my airport utility Internet and

Extreme icons but I cannot see my wireless ID when I turn on my wifi. How do I know for sure that no signal is coming out of the Extreme? The purpose of all of this is to cut down on the wireless radiation in our home, especially when my son is on the computer.

how to turn off (and back on when needed), the wireless function on my airport extreme using airport utility. My computer is hardwired through the extreme, but I want to have the ability to turn on and off the wireless signal emitting from the extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.