Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Hang

I'll get about 20 minutes of work in and then - spinning wheel of doom

Killall Aperture ineffective

Force Quit ineffective ( will disappear from the window but doesnt effect force )

Already did a library DB rebuild.

>??

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 32 GB DDR3, Triple TB Display

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 4:23 PM

9 replies

Dec 3, 2012 5:37 AM in response to wombat2007

You know more about this than I do -- how can you tell that Force Quit was ineffective?

Anytime I force-quit Aperture I immediately reboot and then repair the Library. I can't remember a case where Aperture repeatedly hung after a Library repair. Have you looked for Images with corrupted Originals? Have you noticed what Aperture was reporting in the Activity window prior to hanging? Do you have at least 10% free space on both your system drive and any drive hosting your Aperture Library? Have you run a memory test?

Just fishing.

Dec 3, 2012 9:49 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Hey Kirby

I appreciate the fish. What I meant was, I wouild Force quit through the 'Force Quit' window, the process itslef would disappear from that window but he app would continue to hang - it wouldn't shut down.

I did repair / rebuild the library after this fiorst happened, that's why I'm concerned.

How does one 'look for images with corrupted originals ?"

Tony, the onlt thing I didn't do on Apples list was the.plsts, but I'll keep that in mind.

FYI, I also emptied my Aperture trash, which aparently most 'trash empty' applications don't pick up ( didn't know that )

I got some work done last night after a complete restart, but it feels like Aperture gets slower the longer its open, or if you work too quickly.

I'm on 10.7.5 with all the latest upgrades with 32 GB RAM, so speed and space is not an issue.

JJ

Dec 3, 2012 8:23 PM in response to léonie

well, it happened again.

same thing - about 30 minutes of work and if I move too fast ( supposition )

Aperture will just hang.

bash killall non-effective.

force quit non-effective.

didn't get a chance to look an an Aperture activity window as it froze.

I did notice something strange though - when going after the .plist files as a solution,

they have all been renamed

com.apple.Aperture.plist.lockfile

Since when did these all have .lockfile prefixes ?

Leonie - I use the regular systen empty trash and SuperEmptyTrash

Dec 8, 2012 3:40 PM in response to wombat2007

JJ, you never answered Tony's initial question - have you done all all the trouble shooting basics - repairing permissions, repairing the library? You only mention rebuilding the lirary.

We need to know, if this is a system wide problem or bound to your user account, your Aperture library, or if it also occurs in another user account.

What happens, when you work with a different Aperture library? Create a new one for testing and import some images. Does the hang then also occur?

If yes, what happens, when you work from a different user account? Use the guest account, or create a new one, and do not change any preferences.

Dec 8, 2012 6:52 PM in response to léonie

leonie

I thought I did when I replied

"Tony, the onlt thing I didn't do on Apples list was the.plsts, but I'll keep that in mind."

The only other thing I diodn't do from the list was obviously reinstall a clean Aperture. Last resort.

Next step - .plists

Then I will try to the guest theory. I need to main tain my workflow, so creating anoother library and importing pics is a big deal. I also am not convinced were comparing apples to apples but I will try it anyway.

JJ

Dec 8, 2012 10:26 PM in response to wombat2007

Then I will try to the guest theory. I need to maintain my workflow, so creating another library and importing pics is a big deal.

JJ, we do not need a big library here, just launch Aperture with the ⌥-key held down, select "other/new" to create a new library; name it "testlibrary" and duplicate and import a few images you have already in your home folder. You do not need to take new pictures to test this - any copies of pictures you already have will do. Then try adjusting these images in a new library. Do with them what you usually do to make Aperture freeze.

Use "File > Switch to Library" to switch back to your regular library.

Aperture Hang

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.