Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to refresh notification center?

Hello guys! First time posting here but I could not find help or the answer anywhere.

I'm currently running a late 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro with 10.8.2. All software is updated and all my data is backed up. My issue is in Notification Center on the Mac (swipe over with the trackpad) I have old birthdays that came from Facebook that will not go away.

I am currently using iCloud to sync contacts and calendars and have facebook sycing turned on for contacts. I also have "show birthdays" checked in iCal. I have removed ALL accounts before and set up again and they still show up. They will disappear when I turn it off then reappear when I turn it back on. I even reomved those friends from facebook so they are not even in my contacts or iCal. Just in Notification center, and every day is show 1 day longer (ie: John Smith's Birthday 38 days ago). I feel like my notification center needs to refresh somehow.

I really don't want to do an erase and install..

Any help would be great! Thanks for your time guys.

Notification Center-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 5:49 PM

5 replies

Dec 2, 2012 6:53 PM in response to yeah_jamin

Welcome to the community! Go ahead and try the following:

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui KeepAlive -bool false

To undo this, simply repeat the command and replace the word "false" with "true" in the command.

Change this key value from its default of "true" to "false" and save the file to disable automatic launching of the Notification Center (click for larger view).

When this edit is done, restart the system to reload the modified launch agent file, and Notification Center will now be disabled.

Just remember to restart the computer once its disabled, enable the application, then do a second restart. Let us know if it worked.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57489010-263/dont-like-mountain-lions-notif ication-center-quit-it/

Dec 2, 2012 6:57 PM in response to Navweb3620

That command will disable Notification Center from automatically relaunching if quit, but you can also locate "Notification Center" in Activity Monitor and force it to quit, or type "killall NotificationCenter" in the Terminal to quit the process. This will have it relaunch and reload its settings, if this is all that's needed to clear the problem.

How to refresh notification center?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.