Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid2012 MBP Battery Life?

I have a new MBP mid2012 without retina display that I purchased about a month ago.

2.6Ghz i7 15inch

Recently I have been seeing a massive drop in battery capability.

When option clicking the battery bar it says the status is 'normal' which is obviously what it should say when it's completely new. First week or 2 it has been saying ~10hours battery life left from 100% vary up and down probably an hour which is what I expect. Currently I am experiencing much worse battery life than previously expected.

User uploaded file

The picture above is what it looks like now, the activity monitor is also not running anything in the background? Anyone have any ideas or is it just OS X 10.8.2 that may be affect my battery life horribly.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Mid 2012

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:48 PM

3 replies

Dec 4, 2012 3:51 PM in response to Anddeh

When you first used the Mac, the battery controller had no idea of what you were going to do as well as how the battery would react to the load. So it put up a wildly optimistic estimate based on theoretical performance curves.

As time passed and the controller was able to measure real-world conditions for that specific battery and your particular workflow, it had better data on which to work up an estimate that was more accurate.

Then there's the battery, manufactured as per modern statistical quality control procedures. No two are alike, but enough within the ballpark for the maker to predict a reasonable guesstimate of their behavior. As time goes by, the guesstimate is replaced by reality. My MBP showed the battery to have 110% of max charge capacity when I first turned it on. Now, a year and 62 loadcycles later, it retains 99% of the max charge capacity expected for this model (6900 mAh).

May want to download the free Battery Health (off the App Store) or CoconutBattery (off MacUpdate.com) utilities, that will give you more info as to what the battery is up to without having to open the System Profiler.

Mid2012 MBP Battery Life?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.