Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 charging issues

im having iphone5 charging issues. If my phone charges at all ( weather plugged into my MBP or the AC to USB socket, it takes multiple attempts to get it started. and by multiple, i mean, a **** ton. i had my iphone 5 exchanged recently because when i went to the apple to store to show them, of course, it worked perfectly. they still exchanged it, but it didnt matter, the same problem existed. They didnt exchange the cable which is the next step. I seriously think this is a software issue in the handshaking between the phone and the cable. anyone else haveing these issues

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 9:49 PM

4 replies

Dec 30, 2012 8:14 AM in response to Joshy Neurotic

My daughter got the iphone 5 for Christmas and it charged for 2 days with no issues and then all of a sudden she had to hold it a certain way for the charger to be recognized. The next day it wouldn't even charge so I contacted support and they are sending a new cord because the closest apple store is 3 hrs away. No wanting to wait we went to a local store and purchased a new cord. New cord worked for 2 hrs and then stopped completely. It's almost as if the phone is burning up the cords. We bought another cord last night and its working fine. The wall adapter works fine with the older iphone cords. The support guys told me to use the computer USB to charge it.

Oct 21, 2013 5:52 PM in response to Madnienke

This is similar to my problem. My daughter has an Ipod touch, but instead of frying cords, the cords seem to be frying her ipods!

As for the IPhone issue. My Iphone does the same thing. When you buy after market IPhone cords, they only last a little while. They end up burning out.

The only way to stop this is to only you Apple products although it sounds like your first one was an Apple cord. I don't know why that wouldn't work, but the others definitely only last me a few days at the max with my IPhone.

I hope you find a more thorough answer!

iphone 5 charging issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.