Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my late 2007 24' iMac as a monitor for my Mac mini?

I want to purchase a Mac mini with a fusion drive and use my old 24' iMac as the monitor.

I realize that I can connect the two and mirror the screens but what problems may I face?

Is this a practical solution to updating my computer, by buying a highend Mac mini?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 12:36 AM

This is possible on newer iMacs - unfortunately I don't think the 2007 models support this. I have one of those myself and it certainly won't work on mine.

A quick search on Google seems to indicate only models from 2009+ have this option 😟 anybody agree?

Of course you could consider linking them with a network cable via Ethernet or FireWire, then use Screen Sharing - buuuut if you want to enjoy graphics and video at full quality you'll be disappointed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2012 12:36 AM in response to Muz

This is possible on newer iMacs - unfortunately I don't think the 2007 models support this. I have one of those myself and it certainly won't work on mine.

A quick search on Google seems to indicate only models from 2009+ have this option 😟 anybody agree?

Of course you could consider linking them with a network cable via Ethernet or FireWire, then use Screen Sharing - buuuut if you want to enjoy graphics and video at full quality you'll be disappointed.

Can I use my late 2007 24' iMac as a monitor for my Mac mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.