Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 Movies/TV Shows no artwork when purchased

This has me a bit stumped...

This has only started since I upgraded to iTunes 11 but I want to see if others are having the same issue or it's just me.

Since the upgrade if I purchase a movie or TV show on my Mac the artwork disappears when the download has finished, during the download I can see the artwork fine but as soon as it finishes it's gone. If I go into 'Get Info' the artwork option is greyed out.

Now, if I delete the Movie/TV Show from iTunes but keep a copy in iCloud the artwork reappears. So it would appear that anything stored in iCloud the artwork is fine but if downloaded locally then the artwork is not downloaded.

Has anyone else the issue?

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 3:52 AM

36 replies

Dec 4, 2012 9:44 PM in response to longbridge158

I'm having the same issue, started on one of the itunes 10 updates. I have tried moving my library around and found that unfortunantly and only relating to Movies the library must be on the machine HD. My NAS library will not show artwork for movies. I have reported it to Apple and suggest everyone with this problem does the same . This needs a fix on there and.

Sorry

Dec 6, 2012 11:29 AM in response to longbridge158

I have the same problem since upgrading to iTunes 11 in that new movies I purchased to today showed their artwork while downloading and then it disappeared when the download had completed.

My iTunes media is on a separate USB drive.

Ive not tried deleting the downloads because I don't have the best Internet connection and it took hours the first time.

Somewhat frustrating.

Dec 9, 2012 11:32 PM in response to longbridge158

I too am experiencing this problem, its only some tv shows and movies that are missing artwork. the missing artwork is not limited to "itunes purchased" TV Shows & Movies, also some DVDs that i've ripped to my itunes library have missing artwork...

Also noticed that some episodes are greyed, they play like usual but are greyed for some unknown reason.

My itunes library is on an external hard drive - Lacie Rugged - connected via firewire. doesn't seem to matter what i do they still are missing artwork. 😟

Dec 18, 2012 10:03 AM in response to bennytis

I'm not entirely sure when this issue started for me but I know it's been since 11-Oct-2012. I'm always on the latest iTunes so if you know release dates you'll know what version it started for me. The HD TV show downloaded from iTunes didn't have Album Artwork. It was irritating but dismissed it. November&December 2012 I purchased several new releases in HD. None of them displayed the Album Artwork on any of my devices (MacbookPro, iPhone, AppleTV). I'm currently on iTunes 11.0.1. As already pointed out you can paste a new photo into "Get Info==>Artwork tab" hit save but it DOESN't save. You can select "Get Album Artwork" but it doesn't produce anything. Now in my trial-and-error phase I tried deleting the Movie from my MacbookPro and re-downloading through the cloud. It worked. I had Album Artwork. Unfortunetly, the iTunes Extra didn't download which frankly ticked me off as well. I tried the delete, re-download process again and it downloaded everything but again NO Album Artwork. It's important to mention that the iTunes Extra file does contain the Album Artwork and even after "linking" the movie with the extras by "part of a compilation, 1 of 2 and 2 of 2" it didn't fix the Artwork problem. So, I think the problem is when the actual download from iTunes store and how it saves to the iTunes Media Library. And, yes, I'm on a NAS device. Regardless, here is the workaround that resolved all 6 movies and 1 TV show. The solution is manually adding the movie into iTunes and not relying on the download from the cloud.

Fix

Step 1; copy individual movie folder such as "Brave" to another directory outside of iTunes Media Folder <note: in recent iTunes you'll notice all files, HD, SD and Extra is in one folder - NOT always the case with older versons>

Step 2: delete move from iTunes desktop but select "keep files"

Step 3: rename the movie folder of the movie you just deleted within iTunes Desktop

Step 4: in iTunes desktop, select from File menu, "Add to Library" and select the copied folder from Step 1; e.g. the one outside of the iTunes Media Folder

Step 5: once import is complete, verify Artwork is now as it should be displayed

Step 6: verify the movie folder back into iTunes Media Folder <if it is not but the movie was added, check advanced tab within preferences and check the box to add files to iTunes Media Folder on import>

Step 7: delete copied movie folder that you placed outside iTunes Media Folder from step 1

Step 8: delete the renamed, original, movie folder from step 3

Optional: iTunes at some point listed the movie and iTunes Extras as compilations. I found I had problems in the past if it wasn't linked. So, I manually make the movie part 1 of 2 and the iTunes extra part 2 of 2. Don't forget to hit the compilation flag too.

Jan 4, 2013 4:53 AM in response to longbridge158

I noticed this too a while ago and jusgt today I downloaded a couple of movies from iTunes that did the same. The only thing I can think of is that the NAS isn't allowing write access to the files. I can't even add images manually when they are in this state.

KoiPondJD's workaround works for individual files as well as the whole directory. I'm assuming dragging them locally and replacing them is changing the permissions?

Mar 22, 2013 9:25 PM in response to longbridge158

Hi All. I experience the same problem and when I mention this to iTunes Store bods they send me the usual bunch of standard home sharing support material but fail to answer the question, nor pass it on to Apple Support ( that communication mechanism between iTunes Store & Apple Support doesn't supposedly exist within Apple).

Anyway, I tried locating my large iTunes library on myt Apple TimeCapsule 2Gb and the problem continues. It has been this way since at least iTunes 9 for me. I believe iTunes has a problem when you purchase Movie or TV Show content into this environment i.e. iTunes System files are located locally but your iTunes Library is on another volume.

Similar to Longbridge158, I have found changing my library location back to the defualt location and asking the iTunes Store bods may I please please please download the movie/tv show once again... voila! the content including Artwork is as it should be.

If you have allow Itunes to manage your library and copy etc, point your library back to your NAS location and let iTunes move the new content. Not the solution I would like, but it is a work around.

Apple should fix this.

Hope this helps, but this really should have been solved by Apple by now as I have been complaining to them for many a year about this iTunes fault. Cheers

May 13, 2013 3:02 AM in response to longbridge158

Found a fix. Configure iTunes to OPEN in 32 bit mode and you'll find that all that Artwork that you've tried to manually attach to movies & tv shows is there. You just need to Get Info on each file and hit ENTER.

I run OSX, so this is how's it's done for Mac folk:

CLOSE iTunes

OPEN Finder

GO menu, select APPLCIATIONS and then GET INFO <COMMAND-i>

Select Check Box for OPEN IN 32 BIT MODE

CLOSE iTunes Info

OPEN iTunes

Then goto each Movie or TV show that doesn't have Artwork and GET INFO <COMMAND i>.

Artwork may already be present. If so, hit OK and Artwork should now display.

Or download Artwork (I found Wikipedia is a very useful resource) and manually ADD as you have been trying to in the past.

Cheers

iTunes 11 Movies/TV Shows no artwork when purchased

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.