Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speed issues with Airport Extreme/Express

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me out here. I'm having unexplained speed issues with my wifi.

I've been getting slow internet for a while now, and yesterday I dismantled the entire network in a bid to fix it... I have a 20MB line from Virgin, direct ethernet connection to my MacBook gives me the advertised 20MB+... I have been (and still get) about 1-2MB on wifi 😠

I rebuilt the network yesterday, and for about 4 hours I got 20+MB over wifi... then... for no observable reason the network dropped to 1-2MB again, as it is today... I've rebooted the whole network... and still the same 1-2MB... can anyone provide any insight as to why this might be happening?

Configuration isn't perhaps perfect, but is proven to work!

- DSL in from Virgin box, into DLink 4 port hub, 1 port feeds Airport Express, 1 port feeds an Apple Aiport Extreme, 1 port feeds Synology DS201.

- Airport Extreme feeds a subsequent Airport Express on the top floor of the house...

- Channels have been set manually:

- 2.4 GHz channels assigned are 1, 7 and 13

- 5GHZ (Extreme) is 48

- All boxes set to connection sharing mode: "Bridge mode"

- Security is WPA/WPA2 Personal

Latest (just now) speeds:

Ping: 11ms

Down: 2.35MBs

UP: 1.13MBs

Many thanks for any pointers.

Stig

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 1:12 AM

4 replies

Dec 3, 2012 9:11 AM in response to Stig_gamgee

I have a Time-Warner Cable Modem that is connected via Ethernet cable to my Airport Extreme. I connect my iMac via another Ethernet Cable from the Extreme directly to the iMac. I don't typically have any reason to turn the Wi-Fi on for the iMac. I also have Two Airport Express units positioned with the newest Express (dual-band simultaneous 2.4gh and 5gh) at the opposite corner and up one floor from the Airport Extreme. I have an older Express (Dual-Band, 1 band at a time) positioned on the same floor as the Extreme but half way between the other Express and the Extreme. This gives me vastly improved Wi-Fi speeds throughout the 4,000sq.ft. house.

I certainly notice changes in download speeds from time to time, but they are all acceptable speeds now. Don't know how old your Airport Express is but the earlier ones have Dual Band but only one at a time. In other words if you have any device that won't accept a 5gh band then the Express will only send out the 2.4gh signal.

Speed issues with Airport Extreme/Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.