Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing composer option in itunes 11

I have just updated my itunes on my mac mini. I have mainly classical music (60,000 "songs") and enjoyed the facility to show a composer list in a sidebar. The latest version does not have this option, it has options for artist but not composer. I have tried hard to find my way through the options but can't find this, which was Apple's gift to classical music lovers. PLEASE Apple, add a Composer option to the "view" tab in the top right hand corner.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:05 AM

13 replies

Dec 5, 2012 2:45 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

10.7 had a preloaded Classical playlist which included a sidebar of composers in alphabetical order. I have found a partial solution in 11, if you ignore the Classical playlist, enable column browsing and select Composer,Genre, artist and album you then get a virtual equivalent of the old method, which, if you select "artist" you get the ability to browse by genre, composer artist and album. So you might get Bach, Johann Sebastian; Christopher Hogwood, and album.This is a useful addition, with the potential to do away with the old Classical playlist (which would save disk space for me as I have LOT of classical music!)

Dec 5, 2012 3:21 PM in response to ericfromlong island city

Glad that you have discovered the advantages of the column browser panes. Very powerful tools for finding one's way around a large music collection. One point you made I'd like to clarify. A playlist does NOT take up disk space. Your songs are stored once and only once. A playlist is just what it says it is; a list you've made to make it easy to find/play the items you've listed.

Cheers

Dec 5, 2012 11:47 PM in response to varjak paw

When I filled the "feedback" form in yesterday - before this posting, Apple were not even recognising Version 11 on the form! They have fixed it now.... I thought they had already disowned it! Let's hope they add a Composer option as quickly, its is more user friendly - less key strokes & more obvious as it carries on a design feature of previous versions.

The Column Browser works well in "Songs" mode but not in Albums or Artists and Search works in any mode, but it is poor UI - it requires more actions from the user than the Composers selection of old.

However as a general design principle, removing useful & established features from a User Interface just shows design arrogance or design ignorance and certainly poor design management.

Dec 6, 2012 7:27 AM in response to kilima

Thanks, I stand corrected - it's the various libraries that take up the disk space, not the actual music files but the corresponding album art and the library file. Because itunes cannot handle large (ie >500Gb) libraries without the dreaded rainbow wheel I have to create separate libraries for different genres, each of which takes up its own space. Does anyone know if itunes 11 can handle larger libraries (eg up to 2 Tb)?

Missing composer option in itunes 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.