Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iTunes 11 Mac Install is Missing "View->Show/Hide Status Bar" Options

All:

Okay...this is weird. I did an upgrade from iTunes 10 to 11 on my Snow Leopard MacBook Air. Under the "View" menu, it has the "Show Sidebar" option. However, it does NOT have the "Show Status Bar" or "Hide Status Bar" options at all (screen shot below). What gives???

- Billish

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 13"; 4GB RAM 128GB SSD

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:25 AM

You have the status bar already displayed. :-) so not to worry.

It is the one with number of songs.

14 replies

Dec 8, 2012 10:53 AM in response to Billish

Our two Macs also lack the "Show/Hide Status Bar" View menu item. This is a giant fail on Apple's part— I am being inundated with support calls about this. I have found a link to iTunes 10.7 and am advising all upset clients to dump iTunes 11 and download and re-install iTunes 10.7 until the issues are fixed.

Among other issues: iTunes 11 no longer automatically imports mp3 optical disks into its library as it did in iTunes 10.7.

Now, when we want to import mp3s from an optical disk, we have to do it manually:

1) insert optical disk

2) select File>Add to Library (or Command-O)

3) click on the optical disk in in the Devices sidebar of the dialog box that opens

4) select the tracks to install

5) click "Okay" or hit the Return key

5 steps to accomplish what once happened upon just inserting the disk!

If my clients are any indication, this is a pretty big deal. Apple would be well-advised to fix this fast.

Our Macs:

2006 Core Duo Mini, 1.66 gHz, 2Gb RAM, 256 Gb Sandisk SSD, OS X 10.6.8

2008 MBP OS X 10.6.8

2002 iBook OS X 10.5.x

Dec 8, 2012 10:48 PM in response to Billish

I agree that the issue is related to the OS version; and I would take it a step further— I think iTunes 11 is written more as a transition to iOS and "The Cloud" more than for functionality on the Mac OS or functionality with local files. Moreover, after its delayed release in October, I believe that corporate pressure to get it out the door resulted in insufficient beta testing.

Another issue (and this exists also on Lion and Mountain Lion) is that there is no consolidated "Library" view. Users no longer can view the size of their entire library without adding up the various component parts of the library: Music, Video, Podcasts, etc.

This is a giant step backward for iTunes on the Mac. I can only imagine what Windows users are saying about it (although perhaps v. 11 works well on Windows 8, I dunno).

Jan 2, 2013 12:35 AM in response to Billish

Okay, so a week or so ago Apple pushed out an update to iTunes 11, bringing it to 11.0.1 (12). This fixed the View menu issue at least. Haven't had any chance to check out whether the optical disk issue is resolved, but the library view issue is still the same.

Both Mac and Windows users should update to the latest version to see the fixes.

My iTunes 11 Mac Install is Missing "View->Show/Hide Status Bar" Options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.