Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need assistance in connecting two different displays.

I have an 24-inch iMac (Early 2008) with only Firewire and a 15-inch MacBook Pro (Late 2011) w/ Thunderbolt AND Firewire. Can anyone please help me connect these two in order to have one/dual display? What do I need to buy in order to connect these two?

Is it even possible?

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:51 AM

Look into Screen Sharing and enjoy a lot of advantages no matter how they are connected, even over distance over the Internet.

2 replies

Dec 3, 2012 10:24 AM in response to Curious About One Display

You don't connect via FW to create a dual display. I think what you are attempting to do is use the large display from your your 24" iMac to display images that are running on your MacBook Pro. First please confirm if this is correct.

If I am correct you are attempting to use a feature called Target Display Mode, however it will not work on your configuration. I would recommend you carefully read Target Display Mode 2011 Macs. In short the ONLY way to make this work is to replace the 2008 iMac with a 2011 or 2012 iMac or buy an external Display and connect it to the MBP. The 2008 iMac does not have Thunderbolt and cannot be upgraded to support it so your only alternative is either to buy another external Display to to the MBP or replace the current iMac.

Need assistance in connecting two different displays.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.