Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

exporting pic settings to match files

Ahoy helpful fellow Apple folks.

I just finally saved a few months of pictures to my laCie external drive, but instead of the pics coming in as they had been they came in simply as pictures.

How it used to come in: 2012>12(month number)>3(day of month)> the pics.

Now when I click on Export, the window opens...The first choices are Original current jpeg tiff or png. Is this where I selected wrong? I had JPEG.

Then is include title and location(Y/N)

The next selection is quality. Then use filename, or title, or sequential or album name and number.

Does anyone know what settings render the way the old iPhoto used to go in?

Thanks for reading.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:55 AM

Your post is not clear?

are you exporting photos thinking that iPhoto can access them like it does in the iPhoto library?

If that is it then you can not - the iPhoto library is not just pictures - it is a SQLite database that contains pictures and much more

When you export photos you have jsut that, the photos - iPhoto has no idea of anything about them like it does when they are in the library

If you are looking to backup your iPhoto library then you make an exact copy of it on a different drive - or use backup up software like Time Machine - you do not export anything

LN

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2012 9:55 AM in response to crampy

Your post is not clear?

are you exporting photos thinking that iPhoto can access them like it does in the iPhoto library?

If that is it then you can not - the iPhoto library is not just pictures - it is a SQLite database that contains pictures and much more

When you export photos you have jsut that, the photos - iPhoto has no idea of anything about them like it does when they are in the library

If you are looking to backup your iPhoto library then you make an exact copy of it on a different drive - or use backup up software like Time Machine - you do not export anything

LN

Dec 3, 2012 10:03 AM in response to LarryHN

Hey Larry, thanks for answering.

Sorry for lack of clarity...

My first computer, circa 2003, I saved pics to my external by finding the files (not hidden like today) and then click-drag to the drive. Some data came along, but it was not iPhoto- I could in the window see the things in columns like this:

pics 2004>01

03>01

02> img_2967 And so when I wanted to save the newer pics I would need only go to the month column and click -drag to the drive and it would copy to drive,and to see them, or use for mailing or making a disk, I then only had to drag a pic, or highligted bunch of pics to the place I wanted them.

I was tol this summer when I tried my first time to do it, that I must use export, but like i said all i get is the stack of 1800 photos slammed in, with no way to come back and say, I want to see xmas pics, go to 12-12-25.

Does that say it any better?

Dec 3, 2012 10:07 AM in response to LarryHN

OK maybe I should be asking then, if I did a back up of the library, may I come back and add to that library just the new items then? Or is each time a whole new library? And would that fill up my external real fast?

And- to see the pics on the external drive, must I re-import them to iPhoto, or can i view them on the drive?

Dec 3, 2012 10:19 AM in response to crampy

OK maybe I should be asking then, if I did a back up of the library, may I come back and add to that library just the new items then? Or is each time a whole new library?

That of course depends

If you copy your library then each time you copy it is it is entirely new and unless you delete old ones you will have multiple copies

If you use backup software then it defines how this works - each backup program works differently

And- to see the pics on the external drive, must I re-import them to iPhoto, or can i view them on the drive?

Again that depends on what you do

In any case iPhoto is not a photo viewer and can not be used to view photo sthat have not been imported

If you copy the iPhoto library over then you use iPhoto to view it by switching to it (depressing the option key and launch iPhoto - using the choose library command) - if you use a backup program then how you would view the contents is again dependent on the program you choose - for example with Time Machine you do not view the contents of the backup - you restore them

In any case you NEVER import one an iPhoto library into another iPhoto library

And wanting to view the photos implies that you are looking for an archive system not a backup - two totally different things

And if you do not currently have a good backup (and I'm guessign you do not based on this discussion) then sooner or later you will lose all of your files includign your photos - having a backup is critical if the data on your computer is valuable to you

LN

Dec 3, 2012 10:28 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks... I have a time capsule/airport, and have yet to make the time to figure out the backup thing there...

I had a couple of back ups on the lacie that are visible as I described- the OLD way- not sure a new back up will repeat the same format. I open it(it shows in a Finder window on computer) and instead of seeing it in iPhoto, what is there is as described... One of them the other day I dragged to iPhoto and it said must update the files after downloading iPhoto updater and it would no longer be readable by old iPhotos (gone with Agnes anyway)....and that made a new iPhoto...then next time I opened iphoto I was treated to can only use ONE..I fortunately chose the correct one and the other vanished...

I miss the old way... I will first i guess, make the back up on the time capsule and get back to report on this thread...but not immediately: I must do leaves before the rain. Pesky laborious duties of life when i prefer to mess with pictures!

Thansk for your time and attention- see ya tonight.

Dec 3, 2012 10:42 AM in response to crampy

I have a time capsule/airport, and have yet to make the time to figure out the backup thing there...

Really simple - you plug the TC in and TM asks you if you want to backup - you say yes

for more details and options see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427

I do not follow the rest of your post

Note that what you were doing does not backup your iPhoto library - it only backs up your photos

this is not at all clear

I open it(it shows in a Finder window on computer) and instead of seeing it in iPhoto, what is there is as described.

Nor does this

One of them the other day I dragged to iPhoto and it said must update the files after downloading iPhoto updater and it would no longer be readable by old iPhotos (gone with Agnes anyway)....and that made a new iPhoto...then next time I opened iphoto I was treated to can only use ONE..I fortunately chose the correct one and the other vanished...

You may be describing having multiple iPhoto libraries - if you do you switch between tehm by depressing the option key, launching iPhoto choosing a different library

LN

Dec 3, 2012 11:03 AM in response to LarryHN

Hey again.. time machine is preparing backup presently...

The old computer was a lemon with a bad logic board I ultimately found out and so a few times I did new backups, onto the lacie. When I double -clicked on one last week is when I got the must get the iPhoto updater alert....So that is still in my computer, or it will flow through next time I double click it on the drive? That would be wonderful!

But the one where I had simply been adding new photo files and it stayed in the same format was fun also. The new iphot with the event section is great and easy but will it go for the updated one? I guess I need to search and see.

I apologize...it must be frustrating to try to deal with folks who do not know the lingo, jargon and the ability to rapidly,accurately articulate the situation... Thanks though...

The part you did not get first in your recent response- when I plug laCie in, an emblem apprears on desktop. Double-click opens a FInder window, and I have it rigged so the left colum is the disks and drives and servers showing. So then click on laCie, and it shows the various file folders there... and of course you might imagine,as it was my first external to my first computer which would not always function as commanded to and learning by messing up, there are a bunch of those.

And my favorite file is marked pics-figured it out, containing the most complete of my saved pics, missing only the ones that went away in three drive replacements under warranty and the complete rebuild when after warranty they actually looked for what is wrong with it (out of box bad logic board)...Sigh.

Anyway it says about 25 minutes of back up to do. When I get back in two or three hours I will see what is what... Thanks.

exporting pic settings to match files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.