Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting by artist itunes 11

Is it possible to sort the artist window by artist and not album artist?

Songs from albums such as now 80 that have 'various artists' under album artist tag do not show up under their relevent artist in artist view, instead they are all under Various Artists which seems stupid. If i remove the album artist information from the songs they then show up under the correct artist but then an album shows up for each artist under album view?

Why cant i sort the Artist view by 'Artist' and the Album view by 'Album Artist'? this seems logical but cant find the options in itunes

iTunes 11-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:45 AM

12 replies

Dec 5, 2012 10:27 PM in response to A Harris

Ya, i have a similar issue. i used to sort album by artist. that way, if i had something like Big Shiny Tunes it would show up as one album with a ton of different artists, instead of puking that album all over my itunes while sorting by artis. Also, i cant figure out how to get my album art to show up like it used to. i want it in my list like it was on itunes 10, it looks neater than a big block of text with no partitions.

Dec 6, 2012 6:42 AM in response to A Harris

Grab all your songs, right click, get info, and check the options for track__ of ___

edit those values batch for all of your songs, setting them to null (nothing), but check the values so you change them to nothing for all of your tracks.. That worked for me; it seems the fact that some songs have that information 1 of 1 and others none, f**ks up the way itunes organizes the songs for albums. And since it doesn't let the user sort with different criterias, that becomes an inevitable problem,

Cheers..

Dec 6, 2012 7:04 AM in response to A Harris

Ive tried this, but for mix albums i wish to keep the 'album artist' as 'Various Artists' so it only shows one album in album view but in artist view i want it to sort by artist not album artist so it ignores the 'various artist' and looks at the actual artist for each song so it lists the songs properly under their respected artist name.

All my track numbers and track information is all correct for every song its just the way itunes sorts the lists without letting me choose.

Dec 6, 2012 7:16 AM in response to A Harris

I've spent hours trying to figure this out and the more time i spend with this version, the more confusing and user infriendly it seems. There is definetly something buggy that happens with compilation albums for which the artist is "various artists". I purchased a few tracks off of a compilation last night and i can not locate them in my library (even though they appear in my purchased folder). m

Dec 8, 2012 7:29 PM in response to A Harris

In a very sad way, I am glad to see I am not the only one who HATES the way iTunes 11 sorts. They added a few bells and whistles and removed the core options I used all the time.
I too am very OCD when it comes to how my music is set up on iTunes, and I had it just the way I liked it. But with 11... can't find anything, can't get it to sort the way I want to and I HATE the blurry edges around the album when you click on it, and the fact that you have no say as to what information is shown on that page.

And just like every one above... it is also driving me nuts how it sorts albums that should be (and were) sorted under 'various'.... NOW, when you sort by album, it just take the artist of the first track of the album, and sorts it by their name. ***??? Why would you ever want to sort an album that way?

And I can see from all the comments above, there is no good way of getting around it, or of getting back to being able to see the album cover in a large format.

I thought after a while I would 'get use' to the new format... but every time I sit down and try and use iTunes now, I just find more and more to NOT like about it.

Dec 10, 2012 4:35 PM in response to A Harris

I have a solution that I think works.

In iTunes 10, I would have my compilation albums as "Part of a Compilation" with a blank album artist.

When you are at the Artists tab, if you go to the View>View options and uncheck "Group" compilations, you will have the compilation aritst show up in the regualr list. Then, in Album tab, the Album is maintained.

Below is a visual example

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dec 14, 2012 3:30 AM in response to A Harris

You are welcome.

As long as the "Group Compilations" box is unticked (see my second picture), then you won't have a compilations folder. Also, you only need to set your songs to "Part of a Compilation" if they are in an album that has various artist, like my above album. Any albums that have the same artist don't need to have the "Part of a Compilation" box ticked.

Mar 25, 2013 9:10 PM in response to A Harris

I have the solution that I think you're looking for. I was able to solve this issue on my iPod Touch 5g by going into Settings > Music and turning off "Group By Album Artist."

It was driving me CRAZY that I couldn't get a compilation's songs to show up under their respective artists in the Artist list AND within one album in the Album list. I knew Apple couldn't be so dumb as to not allow this to happen. Surprisingly it isn't intuitive and has taken me months to resolve, but today I got it. Sorry to revive an old discussion, but I'm hoping that the info will help someone else out there.

Sorting by artist itunes 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.