Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder and programs destabilize frequently

Well, the question was answered more or less in my last thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4551546?answerId=20435075022#20435075022

Meaning, I'm able to boot up normally again. However, the symptoms I was experiencing before I was unable to boot are still occurring.

Applications will frequently beachball my cursor and never recover without a forcequit. The finder often crashes, only now instead of procedurally locking up my entire machine, I can thankfully delay the inevitable by relaunching (previously, I would relaunch the finder and it would never return, and I could not forecequit apps).

I've performed a full defrag (iDefrag), I've done a file directory rebuilt (DiskWarrior), I've performed many of the tasks in TechTool and repaired permissions with DiskUtility, and I've flushed all the caches I feel comfortable doing with OnyX, and I rebuilt my spotlight catalog because I thought spotlight searches were crashing.

The only clue as to a trigger I have so far is iDVD crashes almost expectantly, and my typical Finder freeze occurs upon QuickLooking an item.

Mac Pro (Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 32GB RAM, Radeon 4870, IntensityPro

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 10:54 AM

1 reply

Finder and programs destabilize frequently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.