Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Mac 10.5.8

I have been experiencing trouble with my Mac (2.53Ghz and 4GB Mem running Mac OS X 10.5.8). It's been running really slow lately especially when I'm in the internet.
Already ran a disk utility verification and turned out to be ok. Also looked at the Activities Monitor but no signs of high CPU usage there.

Please some help I need it for college and it's starting to really bother me

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:49 AM

Hello, see how many of these you can answer...

See if the Disk is issuing any S.M.A.R.T errors in Disk Utility...

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7029

Open Activity Monitor in Applications>Utilities, select All Processes & sort on CPU%, any indications there?

How much RAM & free space do you have also, click on the Memory & Disk Usage Tabs.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

In the Memory tab of Activity Monitor, are there a lot of Pageouts?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2012 11:49 AM in response to BigMoe1290

Hello, see how many of these you can answer...

See if the Disk is issuing any S.M.A.R.T errors in Disk Utility...

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH7029

Open Activity Monitor in Applications>Utilities, select All Processes & sort on CPU%, any indications there?

How much RAM & free space do you have also, click on the Memory & Disk Usage Tabs.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

In the Memory tab of Activity Monitor, are there a lot of Pageouts?

Dec 3, 2012 12:26 PM in response to BigMoe1290

The upgrade is cheap, may help, may make it worse, tough to tell.

So, no messages in Console?

For Internet, try this...

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Click OK.

Slow Mac 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.