Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11: How to create a genius playlist without saving it?

In iTunes 11, how can I create a genius playlist without saving it? This was possible in iTunes 10; I could select a song, hit the Genius button to create a genius playlist based off that song, then if I wanted to, I could click a "Save" button to save the playlist. Otherwise, by default the genius playlist would be overwritten the next time I chose "genius" on a different song.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 16 GB RAM

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 1:56 PM

4 replies

Dec 3, 2012 2:16 PM in response to GaryKing

In the "carrot menu" next to each song, I see an option to "Start Genius."

User uploaded file

When I select that, the list of songs in my Up Next list changes, but there's no "real place" to see the Genius List like the Genius list in the previous version of iTunes. If you select this from a song that's not currently playing, it will start to play (as in the prev itunes).

I echo your frustration here. So many things seem to be half-way between one model and another.

Dec 3, 2012 6:04 PM in response to Chelicerata

Okay thanks. That "Start Genius" button does indeed do what you say. I did try that button earlier, but I thought it did nothing. It doesn't indicate that it changes the "Up next" list. That should be more clear. Apple is usually pretty good at indicating to the user that the user's action has done something, such as with a simple animation.

iTunes 11: How to create a genius playlist without saving it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.