Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Overload!!!

Hi, this is obviously one of the biggest bugs in logic but i'd like to let people know my situation and see if anyone has found any good workarounds.

I have been using Logic for the best part of eight years and have had to struggle with this System Overload issue (like many of you) across three separate macs. I am currently using an early 2011 Macbook Pro 2.0 quad core with 8gb ram and the stock 500gb HD (with the current version of Logic). I am now finding the system overload messages are so common they are almost pushing me away from making music.

My projects load up and play through fine for a short time, then the cpu monitor spikes and won't go down until i shutdown logic and sometimes the mac itself...It's so bad on this machine that the whole mac slows down for a good five minutes even after i have closed Logic.

I have tried all the classic workarounds: Buffer size, freezing tracks, Running projects from external HD's etc etc...Has anyone found any solid information as why Apple have not fixed THE biggest issue plaguing logic users for years? Has anyone found a serious workaround or solution for the issue?

If i was to upgrade to an SSD drive and 16gb Ram would this sort the problem..I am not incredibly knowledgeable on the technical sides of logic so i just find myself flying into rages...

And if anyone from Apple is reading this..You are lucky so many devout users turn a blind eye to these daily kicks in the face. I would leave Logic in a heartbeat if i hadn't invested so much time into it!!!

Charlie

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:11 PM

2 replies

Dec 3, 2012 2:38 PM in response to DjRetouch

This might sound really simple, and I'm sure you have checked it out, but your hard drive isn't nearly full, is it?

You might also be running out of ram if you have too many items in your undo list. Either delete undo hisytory, or maybe try having less undo steps available. 8 gig of ram is not much use to Logic unless you are running 64bit.

I can't say I have ever had this problem. My home setup is a 2007 2.2ghz Intel core duo, 4 gig ram, and it does OK with all but the hugest projects with lots of VI's. Logic 9.1.6. It just works.

Not much help. Sorry.

Dec 4, 2012 1:35 AM in response to DjRetouch

Hi

If you are having CPU issues, you need to examine which plugins are causing it. Some Instrument plugs can be extremely CPU -intensive.

DjRetouch wrote:

My projects load up and play through fine for a short time, then the cpu monitor spikes and won't go down until i shutdown logic and sometimes the mac itself...It's so bad on this machine that the whole mac slows down for a good five minutes even after i have closed Logic.

This sounds like there could be some more fundamental issue with your Mac and it's OS. You way be able to track down some of the issues by having a look in Activity Monitor to see which elements are using (and continuing to use) CPU power.

CCT

System Overload!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.