Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AIRPORT NOT INSTALLED: Suddenly & without warning - 27" iMAC late 2009 10.6.8

One day I turned my iMAC on and noticed that the wi-fi icon wasn't in the system tray at the top next to the bluetooth icon.

When I clicked on it,it says AIRPORT NOT INSTALLED.

Everything was working fine up until this point. No trouble with wi-fi connections or anything. No warning!

I went to "system preferences/network" and there is no option to reactive the airport, as far as the computer is concerned, there is only Ethernet and FireWire.

I tried resetting the PRAM and I reset the SMC. Nothing.

I even tried pressing firmly where I believe the physical airport to be located inside the machine (at the hinge where the stand mets the machine.. is that wrong?) I read that it could become loose over time and that it could be reconnected, I didn't hold high hopes for that one to work out.

I also read in another discussion to try to delete the "AirportConfig.framework" folder inside "system/library/PrivateFrameworks" but I don't have a "AirportConfig.framework" folder only "Airport.framework" and removing that folder did nothing, so I put it back

I repaired the OS with my installation CD, nothing happened. Next I formatted the hardrive and did a fresh install of the operating system, now back at 10.6.2

So now not only do I not have a functioning Airport, but I also do not have any of the programs installed that I need for business

(but at least the second part is my fault and I do have a back up macbook to work with for now)

I just returned from the Apple store in early September when I had to replace a burnt out HD, after that was taken care of I received an email from Apple stating:

Dear iMac owner,

Apple has determined that certain 1TB Seagate hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

Now I'm pretty sure that's referring to the original hard drive, the one i had to replace

(nice of them to send me the warning after the damage was already done and taken care of)

The only reason I bring up the failing HD, is that I wonder if that could affect the Airport connection. That was the case for someone who posted a discussion earlier. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1695924?start=15&tstart=0

Before I replaced the hard drive, one of the issues caused by the failing HD was that the fan was working overtime to keep the computer cool. The top of the iMAC would become very hot, forcing me to cut my work short to let the computer cool down. Could the heat have damaged the airport?

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated,

as I am not looking forward to another Apple store visit when this computer is past it's warranty and I did not purchase Apple Care

Thanks in advance!

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:17 PM

3 replies

AIRPORT NOT INSTALLED: Suddenly & without warning - 27" iMAC late 2009 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.