Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unfsd memory leak?

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I started compressor and forgot about it. Several days later, I find my system is using massive amounts of swap: 23 GIGs. I have a 16 gig machine, so this is really crazy. I rebooted and that cleared it up. Did another project, and several days later it was massive swap again. I wasn't sure what it was - some website, a virus, some other app, but today I noticed before rebooting a process called "unfsd". I did a "ps -aef | grep unfsd" in the terminal, and I see it comes from:

/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/PlugIns/Compressor/CompressorKit.bundle/Co ntents/Frameworks/Qmaster.framework/Versions/A/Resources/unfsd -e /Users/jrab/Library/Application Support/Apple Qmaster/exports -m 1024 -n 1024 -t -L /Users/jrab/Library/Application Support/Apple Qmaster/Logs/unfsd.log -s -d -p

The log file is just filling up with (hundreds of entries):

Mon Dec 3 21:43:10 2012: /Users/jrab/Library/Application Support/Apple Qmaster/Storage/D9B7C843-719FF976/shared: ip 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 options 4

Mon Dec 3 21:43:10 2012: /Users/jrab/Library/Application Support/Apple Qmaster/Storage/D9B7C843-719FF976/shared: ip 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 options 4

every 30 seconds or so. Up to 8 megs of text so far, but it seems to roll over since the entries started after my laterst reboot, about 2 hours ago.

Interestingly, the mem use when I started was 4 megs and 8 Virtual. Now, 2 hours later and not doing anything, it's 8.5 megs and 23 megs.

This is pretty crazy. I can't believe this isn't a known issue. Is there any information on it? I haven't found any yet.

thanks
JRAB

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3), 16 gigs

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:33 PM

2 replies

Dec 31, 2012 8:36 PM in response to jrabenson

Hi Jrab I just stumbled over your post looking for something unrelated. I'd propose these messages are related to the QMASTER component or one its its sub component services.. So if u haven't resolved this I'd suggest trying to isolate then remedy

Step 1: turn off Qmaster. Do this by using compressor 4's application "apple qmaster" menu and click on item "share this computer" . Select the "setup" tab and maker sure "share this compute" is UNTICKED. It wil scream and yell but just stop Qmaster

Step 2: then restart your mac. This will start restart the system log too

Step 3: use the activity monitor to see of qmasterd is started and that any COMPRESSOR tasks are NOT started

Step 4: rerun your compressor job. You have no clustering nor computer plus, so jus submit to "this computer"

Ok your Job runs fine and there probably no more messages as u describe. If so then I'd suspect that these messages are from the communications bit of compressor trying to access or mount its shared cluster storage for other compressor hosts to use.

Now before you restart Qmaster, simply go into the ~/library/applications support/Qmaster and DELETE the folder called Storage.. Don't worry, Qmaster will allocate a new one.

Restart Qmaster if u a using it, however this time go into the advanced tab instead of setup (as above) and move ten Qmaster cluster somewhere else if u like.

Then click on the "share this computer" and set up the services only or whatever u have used

Also select the network subsets u are using. DON'T LET IT DEFAULT TO ALL. Select one . This has always been an issue for me with qmaster tantrums...

and save the setting.

Wait a few minutes to let Qmaster start

Now examine the logs again and see if those messages appear

Post your results for others to see.

Hth

Warwick

Jul 27, 2013 6:07 AM in response to Warwick Teale

I'm afraid I wasn't so scientific, but I think the problem is resolved. No more balooning swap, at least. I started to do your steps but didn't have time to finish, then went to another project so never followed up. Recent;y however, I came back, wanting to make compressor work again.

In the application monitor, I noticed that when qmaster was running, there were 64 bit and non 64 bit pieces.

In the terminal, I found in "/usr/sbin" several qmaster files from 2008: qmasterca, qmasterd, qmasterprefs,qmasterqd. I deleted all of them, compressor, and anything in my ~/Library/ and /Library that had anything to do with qmaster. Including a qmaster system control panel. Then I re-downloaded and re-installed compressor. The older versions created conflicts that made everything crazy. Seems better now, at least so far, so good.

thanks
JRAB

unfsd memory leak?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.