7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2013 7:02 AM by Tri Toan
KodeSharp Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Greetings!

I have a Macbook Pro 13 inch mid-2012 model that I self upgraded to 1TB HDD and 16GB RAM. The system runs flawlessly and VMWare is also fully functional for my basic needs on Windows. However I am at the point that I NEED BOOTCAMP, and VM is not an option for some of my needs.

Here is what I want to achieve, I have read numerous forums but entries either were somewhat dated, or did not have enough details on ALL the 3 aspects I mentioned above in the subject. Here is my plan, I would like to hear suggestions from the experts on this subject matter: I would basically like to have 3 partitions, 1 for OSX (100GB), 1 for Windows 7/8 (bootcamp, 100GB), and 1 for my user folder (remaining space, about 700GB+) which I intend to share between the 2 OS's.

Here is what I already know:

- I have to delete the recovery partition otherwise Windows will complain having more than 4 partitions on the boot drive (EFI, and the 3 others I mentioned). I am fine with loosing the reovery partition

- I know only exFAT is the format supported "natively" for BOTH read's and write's by OSX as well as Windows 7/8.

- I got some tutorials about somewhat convoluted and no so clean instructions on how to actually get the stuff installed, I am ready to take on the challenge and have backups etc so do not mind taking the risks

Here is what I want your advice on:

- Does exFAT perform well enough (as compared to HFS/NTFS on the same physical spinning drive I mean). Has anyone done something like this and if any suggestions

- Is it possible to get files corrupted while sharing the data like this between the 2 OS's

- Is creating the data partition as NTFS and installing some native NTFS I/O handler on OSX a better option if your experience on the above 2 is somewhat negative

- Anything else that I should be aware of?

Many thanks in advance,

Kaushik

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • ds store Level 7 Level 7 (30,315 points)

Since yours is a newer machine, you have Internet Recovery, command option r held at boot up.

You need a Ethernet connection preferably, use Disk Utility to select the entire drive and erase with the middle selection and wait, it will take some time and map off any potential bad sector it discovers for a more reliable drive.

Next head to Partitions and click the box and set 3, option: GUID, adjust them to size, format the first partition OS X Extended journaled, name Macintosh HD. The second one exFAT and the last one MSDOS, name  BOOTCAMP.

Install OS X into Macintosh HD partition, quit and setup. It will likely balk at you and say no Filevault or Recovery HD partition.

Follow the method to install Windows from disk, as you know the BOOTCAMP partition needs to be changed to NTFS by the Windows installer disk before it can install Windows.

Also follow the BootCamp drivers install from Apple.

https://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Use Cabon Copy Cloner to clone the OS X partition to one blank external drive and WinClone to clone the BootCamp partition to another drive.

EFI partition

Macintosh HD partition 100GB

ExFAT partition 700GB

BOOTCAMP 100GB

• KodeSharp Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for your response, ds store.

My current setup is OSX on 100GB HFS partition and data separately on the rest as another HFS partition.

I am sure I will have to let go of my data partition and make the whole disk as OSX, because only then bootcamp will be allowed. So I am planning the following sequence:

1. Merge OSX and data partition, and make the whole 1TB disk as OSX

2. Delete the recovery partition

3. Create bootcamp partition as NTFS, while the process is taking place, manually interrupt the process (like ejecting the USB sick, oops!) and initiate disk utility and create a new exFAT partition

4. Get back to bootcamp installation, and install Windows 8 (using Windows 7 process and drivers, yes I know it is sketchy at best but again I will take my chances here)

5. After installation of Windows is done, get back to OSX and change data folder to be on exFAT drive

Does this sound right? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Kaushik

• saturnotaku Level 3 Level 3 (525 points)

I'm going to toss out a warning about exFAT. I was going through something similar. My plan was to put OS X and Boot Camp on an SSD then format another drive to exFAT and replace my optical drive with it, thereby allowing both operating systems read and write access. All was OK until I tried to copy about 30 GB of data from an external hard drive to the exFAT drive within OS X. The copy process would stall and the data would get corrupted. What I ended up having to do was partition the second drive into one for data I would use on OS X (HFS+ file system) and the other on Windows (NTFS). That worked fine, but I really would rather keep the second drive as a single partition. I keep mostly my Windows/Boot Camp games on the extra drive. There is only a small amount of data that OS X would need access to. As such, I've been experimenting with some of the NTFS write drivers for OS X and will probably end up going down that route as I don't want to mess with possible exFAT data corruption again.

Now I'm not saying this would happen to you, but make sure you have good, recent backups of all your data before you go fiddling with your partitions and file systems.

Saturnotaku,

You confirmed the exact suspicion I was having before plunging with a shared exFAT drive option. Thank you.

I think I am going to settle for a classic 4 partition scheme (EFI, Recovery, OSX, Windows) and install Windows like it is meant to be. Now the question is, should I keep the data on OSX and access it from Windows using HFS for Windows, or should I keep the data on Windows and access it from OSX using NTFS for Mac. I think Paragon has both options for $20 each.

I am thinking I will keep the data with OSX since that partition is likely to remain well performing for longer term and I will likely be re-installing Windows more often (for example Windows 8 now with hunting for drivers, and then re-install again when better Apple supported drivers are released again.).

Any final ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance for your time and expertise once again.

• saturnotaku Level 3 Level 3 (525 points)

I've not played too much with HFS+ writers for Windows, as my needs mostly revolve around doing things the opposite way. Besides, NTFS writers for Mac seem more "developed" in the sense that they're pretty stable and require little to no user intervention, aside from installing the application and making sure it stays updated as needed.

Once I finally get the second hard drive reinstalled on my machine, I'm probably going to purchase Tuxera NTFS. I found it to be a bit faster when writing than Paragon. Though more costly up front, you own your Tuxera license for life. Paragon makes you pay, albeit at a discounted rate, for each major release (version 8, 9, 10, etc). Two version changes are basically the price of one Tuxera license.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments, saturotaku. Your response is much appreciated.

• Tri Toan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Using local drive with ExFAT format in Windows 8 is very easy

1. Login to Windows 8

2. Run console as administrator

3. Input command: "sc config exfat start= demand"

4. Restart windows and enjoy!