Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery draining really fast- 100% to Zero in 20 minutes

Today my iPhone 4 S (3 months old) is having some kind of battery freak out. It went from around 60% to 1% earlier today, in 5 minutes. I plugged it in, said it was charging, but I still had the "red" battery indicator on the screen. I got home, plugged it in to a wall charger and let it charge. It read 100% after a short time. I did a hard reboot and it read 100%.

Unplugged it and tried to use it. As I have been searching for solutions, I have watched the battery drain from 100 down to 1 again- in a matter of 20 minutes. What the heck is going on?

I have turned it in and off, toggled airplane mode... Those are the only go to fixes I know!!

I haven't purchased any apps recently and my software is up to date.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks-

Heather

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:22 PM

21 replies

Dec 4, 2012 3:01 PM in response to HBChicago

So, to update- my phone continued to act up last night and then this morning. Plugged it in when I got to the office, it sat with the "red battery" all morning. It finally woke up at around noon, showed 100% and I watched it drain while sitting on the charger. I left it plugged in and when I left for the apple store, it read 100% again.

Of course, I arrive at apple store- it won't do it. Acting totally normal. Argh!!! So here is hoping it magically fixed itself...

Dec 9, 2012 12:24 PM in response to HBChicago

And suddenly today ( 5 days later) it won't charge again. Quick drained again, so plugged into the wall charger- shows that it is charging, but it continues to drain. Fricking awesome.

Has anyone had this happen? Supposedly the battery diagnostic said it was fine (at the apple store). So frustrating, I never had any issues with my 3GS ( it just got old and slow).

:-(

Dec 10, 2012 11:02 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for your suggestion Lawrence. I am wondering if there might be an issue with the battery indicator itself- as I said, it would not charge at all yesterday, kept showing me the red battery of death and wouldn't wake up.

Just for kicks I plugged it back in this morning and it has now come to life- but will not charge past 1%. But I have had it off of the charger for over 2 hours now, and it is still functioning. Odd.

I am heading back to the Apple Store later, figured I would update. Thanks

HB

Dec 16, 2012 11:33 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

my battery last for up to just 12 hours. sometimes it last for upto 1 day without doing anything like texting and what so ever. a maximum of 1 day only without holding my phone. my phone is continuing to drain even im not using it. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ if im playing, it just last for up to 10 hrs ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ. i usually play subway surfer and as ive said, it just last for up to 10 hrs ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ i'm just using it when i need to talk to somebody.๐Ÿ˜Ÿ please help me. i really dont know what was the problem of my iphone. thanks for your time by replying my message. help me ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

Dec 17, 2012 6:46 AM in response to stefannie

You are getting normal, expected life out of your battery. There is no problem with your phone. The battery life is in http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html, and is repeated here for an iPhone 5:

• Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G
  • Standby time: Up to 225 hours
  • Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 8 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
  • Video playback: Up to 10 hours
  • Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

There are always things running in your phone, even when you are not using it, unless you have no apps installed, no email accounts, and you never use twitter, facebook, or other social networking apps. Interactive games consume huge amounts of energy.

You can see where your power is being used by going to Settings/General/Usage and noting the Internet Usage time.

Battery draining really fast- 100% to Zero in 20 minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.