Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I raise volume on multiple tracks simultaneously?

I want to grab 2-3 tracks at a time and raise the volume(s) simultaneously. Is this possible?

(The reason for this is auto-normalization is making my track quieter not louder. So I've turned off the preference, but now I need to boost all tracks to get them at maximum non-clipping volume before export. Since I've already mixed them, I need to be able to boost them all at one time, in conjunction.)

MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:36 PM

5 replies

Dec 3, 2012 11:02 PM in response to cutout

Then use the Master Track automation curves:

• From the main menu bar: Track > Show Master Track ⌘B
  • In the track head of the Master Track switch the pop up menu to "Master Volume" and adjust locally the volume, if necessary. This will apply to all tracks in parallel.

To increase the volume of the whole arrangement by the same amount, use the Masetr Volume Slider in the lower right of the main window:

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

Dec 4, 2012 12:12 PM in response to cutout

You have to be clear on what you to to achieve.

Normalize

is the procedure to have your audio file reach 0dB or the maximum digital level (all 1s) at its highest peak level (remember, we are talking digital audio here). If an audio file is normalized, says nothing about how loud it is! It is a technical term that guarantees that there is no "headroom" in your audio file. You don't need any additional app for that, GarageBand can do that automatically (set in the Preferences).

Loudness,

on the other hand, is the perception of how loud a track "sounds" regardless of its actual level. Everybody audio file is limited by the same 0dB of maximum digital audio level when you compare two audio files (sixteen digits set to 1 is the maximum level in a 16bit system). However how to achieve the maximum loudness is a skill that turned into a horrible horse race which pretty much ***** the life out of the recorded music. If you want to get your mix louder, then you have to learn how to use (and hopefully not mis-use) the skill of mixing with all the available tools (compressor, limiter, frequency spectrum, etc). There is plenty of material out there (Websites, YouTube) to start with. Ultimately it is a lifelong practice and experience.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

how do I raise volume on multiple tracks simultaneously?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.