Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Notes Missing

All of my notes except the one I created about half an hour ago suddenly vanished WHILE MAIL WAS OPEN!

This happened to me once before and I found some copies of my old notes, but I don't remember how.

All I can say is that I've never been able to get Time Machine to work, so they aren't available there, and my Mail program is not synced up to anything in the cloud... it's just Mac Mail and suddenly, tonight, hundreds of notes vanished. I have not recently updated to a new operating system or imported mailboxes anywhere... I just had Mail open while I was using Safari, went back to Mail & the notes are gone.

Does anyone know how I might restore them?

Mac Pro early 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 10:36 PM

4 replies

Dec 4, 2012 12:42 AM in response to Eric ESAD

I don't think I can offer much consolation but this is how I see your situation.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'notes' but if you read the following perhaps you can relate it to your situation.

If by notes you mean drafts, time machine were it working could have recaptured them. If you were trying to set up Time Machine using the internal HD that is not good practice. You really need an external HD of at least 500GB. They are not that expensive and for future security you should try to sort it.

If the notes were in Pages, Time Machine would not recapture them. I see you are in 10.6.7 Snow Leopard, and you would need to be in Lion or Mountain Lion to take advantage of the new system for saving of Pages. Incidentally, you really should update to 10.6.8 via the combo update.

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

If not at this moment, hopefully this will aid you in the future.

Dec 4, 2012 6:55 AM in response to Eric ESAD

Ah, thats it. Never felt the need to investigate notes or the need for them, indeed, I'd forgoten about their existence. 😀

Glad you updated; had you also done the combo I sent you plus the security add ons via Software update? By the way, I've since learned that Time Machine may not have recovered them either, although that's no reason for not installing it.

But as far as your notes are concerned, the only other location was MobileMe but as you haven't used that, I think the answer to your post is ... you've lost them. Sorry.

Mail Notes Missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.