Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 VGA cable

I've got an iPhone 5 lightning-to-VGA cable.

I can plug it into the TV using a VGA-to-VGA cable no problem - works perfectly.

I then tried to use both of the following:

• VGA-to-component (RGB) cable
  • VGA-to-composite (singe yellow plug for video) cable

neither of these worked to my TV or to other monitors I used.

Does anyone know what the VGA output on the apple cable is actually sending?

Does it only support the RGB component VGA output or does it support the composite signal? Or possibly both?

The iphone did at least recognise that the TV was connected when using the VGA-to-RGB cable, but nothing displayed on the screen.

Much appreciate, thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1, using apple lightning-to-VGA adapte

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 2:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 11:20 PM

A VGA signal is composed of a Red,Green,Blue and also Horizontal and Vertical Sync information. You cannot simply do a VGA to Component or Composite within a cable. The signal types are different.

The VGA to RGB Cable you have is meant for inputting Component video in to a device that will accept them through the device’s VGA input port. This type of use can be found in some projectors as an auxiliary type input, but by no means is this a VGA signal. VGA to RGB cables are for proprietary purposes, I know its kinda confusing!

If you must use a Component input you will need a scan converter.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407 &p_id=8668&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2012 11:20 PM in response to hballumph

A VGA signal is composed of a Red,Green,Blue and also Horizontal and Vertical Sync information. You cannot simply do a VGA to Component or Composite within a cable. The signal types are different.

The VGA to RGB Cable you have is meant for inputting Component video in to a device that will accept them through the device’s VGA input port. This type of use can be found in some projectors as an auxiliary type input, but by no means is this a VGA signal. VGA to RGB cables are for proprietary purposes, I know its kinda confusing!

If you must use a Component input you will need a scan converter.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407 &p_id=8668&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

iphone 5 VGA cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.