Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do the people that made iTunes 11 nos listen to albums?

I'm a big fan of albums, I like listening to an entire album, and then to another entire album, and so forth. So I loved the option+skip shortcut that skipped entire albums. Together with shuffle by album, it allowed me to skip, skip, skip, until iTunes landed on an album I felt like listening to. And then, when the album was over, iTunes would shuffle to another one.

Firstly, the shortcut is now gone and I can't skip albums any more, forcing me to manually look through my collection to pick something.

Secondly, while I love the new album view, it just... stops at the end of the album. Why? I have shuffle turned on, and by album, but even if I didn't, iTunes should at least carry on playing, jumping to whichever album came next. Instead, it just stops, forcing me to switch to iTunes to pick another album.

It's mind boggling. With these two feature changes, Apple completely destroyed my iTunes experience.

Can any one give me any tips on this? Am I missing something? Is there another way to skip albums? Should iTunes keep playing after an album is over, do I have to configure something?

Thanks,

Pedro

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:51 AM

10 replies

Dec 16, 2012 7:35 AM in response to urbanlenny

Yeah, I noticed it will shuffle to another album if you do that, but if you're at the last track and skip, it won't, it'll just stop.

And the shortcut to skip an entire album is also not working.

I mean, imagine you're album shuffling and something you like just finished playing and it goes to something else you're not really in the mood for, you'll have to skip every song in that album or just manually select another one. Why isn't there a skip album command? It's not that weird.

Dec 18, 2012 12:20 AM in response to pedrocs

The opt+skip does work. (thanks, I never knew that one)

Perhaps Play is being initiated from the wrong place.

There is the master play button at the top that will start playing from the top of whatever is listed in the Songs, Albums, Artist, Genres or Playlsits 'tabs' (provided there is nothing already in the 'Up Next' que). Then there are the play buttons that are only relivant to genre, artist and album respectivly. Each of these will play through all that is listed in each. To answer you question directly, if you pressed play of an album it will only play that album. If you listed all albums from an artist and you want to play all albums you would hit play next to the artist name. If you want to play all albums and artist in a genre you would hit play next to the genre name at the top of the list.

It is taking some getting used to and the reality is that it is all geared towards sending things to Up Next, but I am finding most of the old ways are there. I do miss voting though.

Dec 18, 2012 12:54 AM in response to BnJmn42

True, option+skip now works again, on the Mac. I was trying in windows and that doesn't work, but then again, it never did.

The rest I still find kind of awkward. Why would I want to play just an album? If I want to do that, I'll enter the album name in the search and single it out. But ok.

Thanks for you input.

Do the people that made iTunes 11 nos listen to albums?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.