Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I safely downgrade to iTunes 10 with it's far better UI?

Luckily I installed iTunes 11 in Windows first (I keep my main library in OSX, and use my iPod classic to listen to my music and podcasts while dual booted into Windows) so I've not FUBARed my main iTunes install and library, but I'm still concerned I may run into issues downgrading this copy in Windows XP. The only local content are some Windows only game podcasts I only listen to while in Windows, so I don't mind if I have to lose my tiny iTunes for Windows library. So has anyone downgraded to see if there are any issues beyond one's library being changed by 11?

TIA,

Jamie Kahn Genet

Mid-2007 24, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 500GB HD, 4GB RAM

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:53 AM

I had no problems downgrading especially if you backedup just before you upgraded. You will need to drag the itl file out of where it resides and use your last backup itl file renaming it to the file you dragged away or you will get a message that the library was created in a later version of itunes when you start itunes after down grading.

Peter Rowan

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2012 9:53 AM in response to BaboonLoveMonkey

I had no problems downgrading especially if you backedup just before you upgraded. You will need to drag the itl file out of where it resides and use your last backup itl file renaming it to the file you dragged away or you will get a message that the library was created in a later version of itunes when you start itunes after down grading.

Peter Rowan

Dec 4, 2012 10:27 AM in response to varjak paw

I could see the sidebar. That wasn't the problem, and it's an obvious one to solve in the view menu. Though iTunes 11 did not hide the sidebar. It at least respected my settings from v10 in that regard. Did it not for you?

No, the reasons for my now sucessful downgrade (I ended up uninstalling v11, restoring my iTunes library and prefs, then installing v10.7) are primarily that a) I could see far fewer of my media in the same space, b) that my iPod's content was segregated from the sidebar, and c) the missing features such as iTunes DJ.

Dec 4, 2012 11:15 AM in response to Beveridge 07

Specifically I restored:

settings\user\Application Data\Apple\iTunes (note 'settings\user\Application Data' is hidden in Windows Explorer by default)

settings\user\Application Data\Apple\Preferences

settings\user\My Documents\My Music\iTunes

This was overkill on my part, but I wanted to ensure I'd have exactly the iTunes library and settings I had right before upgrading to iTunes 11. I suspect you could simply reinstall iTunes 10.7 and load the backup of the library that iTunes makes for you in 'settings\user\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\Previous iTunes Libraries'. But I've not tested that, and given I backup daily, it was easy to simply restore all the above after uninstalling iTunes 11, and before reinstalling v10.7.

Good luck.

Dec 4, 2012 11:42 AM in response to BaboonLoveMonkey

Loading the most recent backup from My Music\iTunes\Previous iTunes Libraries' is just what I did and it works fine.Search for iTtunes Library.itl in windows search. Go to that directory. Drag to the desk top anywhere else out of that directory that file and the Itunes Music Library.xml. Go to Previous Itunes Libraries and copy the most recent itl file to where the Itl file was you dragged away and rename it iTtunes Library.itl. Start Itunes 10.7 and you are there.

Peter Rowan

Dec 6, 2012 6:58 PM in response to BaboonLoveMonkey

Easier Method:

Quit iTunes

Navigate to /Applications and locate iTunes app

Select iTunes and hit Command+i to “Get Info” on the application

Click on the Arrow next to “Sharing & Permissions” to reveal the access panel

Click on the lock icon and authenticate with your A PW!Under “Privilege” set both instances of “everyone” to “Read & Write”

Launch the Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities/

Type the following commands to kill iTunes

:killall iTunes

Now kill the Helper process

:killall "iTunes Helper"

Now to delete the actual application, use this command

:sudo rm -rf /Applications/iTunes.app/

Now go to itunes media folder a replace iTunes library.til

with you should see a folder called Previous iTunes Libraries

inside is your library pre-upgrade! Rename / Copy / Replace

(If your an iphone user you will have to restore phone before sync)

Dec 6, 2012 7:40 PM in response to TylerAllen86

Are those the instructions for Windows too (the forum on which this was posted)? All that bit about /Applications and "Terminal" make this sound like iTunes for Mac.

Now go to itunes media folder a replace iTunes library.til

If you're going to post directions you need to be precise. The library file is not in the media folder, it is in the iTunes folder. The file extension isn't .til, it's .itl

Jan 30, 2013 5:32 PM in response to TylerAllen86

I just downgraded to version 10.7 and although it was a bother having to reimport all the songs and redo all the playlists I'd done since installing 11, it was worth it. Yay, now I can enjoy working in iTunes again!

Everyone Downgrade Now!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4657109?answerId=20757718022#20757718022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4570697?answerId=20515866022#20515866022

Can I safely downgrade to iTunes 10 with it's far better UI?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.