Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving pics from my old PowerBook to my new iPad

Hi

Just got the new iPad and want to simply and safely move pictures from my g4 PowerBook running leopard and iPhoto 09 ( 8.1.2 ) to it

I have bought the iLife app but just want some advice before I jump in and press the wrong buttons etc

Many thanks

Tony

Powerbook 1.5GHz PowerPC G4, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:37 AM

The ideal thing to do would be to sync the photos from your laptop to your iPad using iTunes. Your problem, however, is that your laptop and the OS (leopard) are so old, you won't be able to sync your new iPad. You need Snow Leopard (10.6) at least, and I don't know if your powerbook can work with that. You really need to upgrade your laptop, it's OS, or (preferably) both to take full advantage of the iPad technologies.

An alternative that might work is to copy all the photos onto an SD card and use the Camera Connection Kit to load them onto your iPad. The file exensions and folders have to be set exactly right for the iPad to recognize it, but it can be done. Texas Mac Man will likely copy and paste one of his tutorials about this here at some point.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2012 9:37 AM in response to tonybassplayer

The ideal thing to do would be to sync the photos from your laptop to your iPad using iTunes. Your problem, however, is that your laptop and the OS (leopard) are so old, you won't be able to sync your new iPad. You need Snow Leopard (10.6) at least, and I don't know if your powerbook can work with that. You really need to upgrade your laptop, it's OS, or (preferably) both to take full advantage of the iPad technologies.

An alternative that might work is to copy all the photos onto an SD card and use the Camera Connection Kit to load them onto your iPad. The file exensions and folders have to be set exactly right for the iPad to recognize it, but it can be done. Texas Mac Man will likely copy and paste one of his tutorials about this here at some point.

Dec 4, 2012 11:05 AM in response to tonybassplayer

You cannot just copy pics to your SD car and expect the Camera Connection kit to recognize it. The Camera Connection Kit is designed to transfer photos from a card that was formatted in a camera and for pictures that were produced by a camera.

The camera will create a folder titled DCIM. You must create this folder on your card when you write to it from your PowerBook. Also the photo files must have names with 8 characters, no more no less. Most cameras name photos like this: img_1234 to get the eight characters.

Dec 4, 2012 2:44 PM in response to tonybassplayer

tonybassplayer wrote:

Sounds like my first port of call is to get a camera connection kit then give it a go

Many thanks

Tony

Yes, that is the first step. However, as Ralph and I mentioned, getting the files set up and in the correct folders will be critical to your success. You cannot simply copy the photos onto the SD card and then plug it into the iPad. The reason is that the iPad is expecting that SD card to come straight out of a camera. In such a case, the camera formats the card in a certain way to store the photos. The iPad is expecting to see this file structure so you can view the photos. What you are doing is transferring photos from another computer, and unless you use the file structure the iPad is expecting, you will not be able to see those photos. Do not be discouraged, what you are trying to do will work. However, you need to search on this board board or on the Internet to determine the exact file structure the iPad will require. It's not that cumbersome, but it must be done if you want to transfer those photos.

Dec 4, 2012 3:27 PM in response to tonybassplayer

tonybassplayer wrote:

Could I not just put them on a USB stick and connect that ?

You can use a USB flash drive & the camera connection kit.

Plug the USB flash drive into your computer & create a new folder titled DCIM. Then put your movie/photo files into the folder. The files must have a filename with exactly 8 characters long (no spaces) plus the file extension (i.e., my-movie.mov; DSCN0164.jpg).

Now plug the flash drive into the iPad using the camera connection kit. Open the Photos app, the movie/photo files should appear & you can import. (You can not export using the camera connection kit.)

Secrets of the iPad Camera Connection Kit

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57401068-285/secrets-of-the-ipad-camera-conn ection-kit/

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Moving pics from my old PowerBook to my new iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.