You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard/Mouse extension cable??

I have an older Mac Pro (Leopard) I am reconfiguring where I am physically putting things & I need to extend the USB chord that comes off of the keyboard & plugs into the monitor. I bought a run of the mill USB extender and it won't work! It will work with other devices but not the Keyboard/Mouse. I tried also plugging the Keyboard/Mouse into a Belkin USB hub, again other devices work, but not the Keyboard/Mouse. Do I need a special cable? Why does it seem that the Keyboard/Mouse only works when plugged directly into the monitor's USB port?

mac pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:29 PM

5 replies

Dec 4, 2012 4:42 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy-

You are correct that both the keyboard and its extension use a non-standard USB "A" connector, with an extra notch in each connector.

My experience was that I could use the keyboard with a standard extension cable, as long as I made certain that it was completely seated. What I could NOT do, was to use the Apple short extension cable for ANY other devices, because it is keyed to accept only the notched keyboard connector.

I do not know why this is. Maybe Apple just wanted to keep from giving you a "general purpose" extension that could get you in trouble by extending cables to other devices, or combining six of them in a row. Or perhaps the keyboard has unusual power requirements, and some USB cables use wires that are too small to supply enough power.

Also, this would not be the first time someone decided to key a connector, but ended up keying the wrong end or in the wrong way. (I am reminded of the brain-damaged keying on high-speed 40-pin IDE cables)

Dec 4, 2012 5:36 PM in response to saxman1.586

The Apple keyboard does use a nonstandard USB plug but they can be used with normal USB extension cables. The special plug allows it to be used with the Apple keyboard extension cable, which will not accept a normal USB plug even though it has a standard USB plug on the other end. The special USB socket prevents the daisy-chaining of Apple keyboard extension cables. The cable is very thin so using more than one might cause excessive voltage drop.

The keyboard should work with a standard USB extension cable. I have a 10 foot USB extension cable between my Mac Pro and its keyboard.

Your keyboard may be failing. It happened to my first keyboard. I originally used it with the Apple keyboard extension cable. Everything worked fine for many months, then wouldn't work when waking the computer from sleep. Unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back would fix it. Without the extension it had no problem. After a few more months it started having problems even plugged directly into the computer with no extension.

Apple replaced the keyboard under warrantee and it has worked properly ever since, even with the 10 foot USB extension.

Keyboard/Mouse extension cable??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.