Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Recovery HD on Mac Mini

New Mac Mini (late 2012) with 1TB Fusion HD. When I startup while holding option key the recovery HD does not appear as an available HD only the main boot volume. In disk utilities many partitions appear even Boot Camp which I did not install.

Is this the way a Fusion drive operates? Shouldn't I see a recovery partition on option startup?

User uploaded file

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:45 PM

I don't see the Boot Camp partition on your hard disk. Your computer uses Internet Recovery instead. Press Command and R keys when your Mac starts and it will start into Internet Recovery

8 replies

Dec 6, 2012 8:09 AM in response to mende1

That isn't entirely correct. The 2012 Mac Mini is capable of Internet Recovery but the CMD+R involks the normal Recovery HD partition. CMD+Opt+R starts Internet Recovery. Internet Recovery would also start if the Recovery HD partition wasn't present when pressing CMD+R on boot.

I think it may have to do with CoreStorage volumes but the Recovery HD will not show when holding option at boot. The only way to start it is CMD+R.

Dec 6, 2012 8:15 AM in response to Martin Muheim

jedib0p is correct regarding the Fusion drive.

So, for you, you should be able to press COMMAND+R when you restart your 2012 Mac Mini with Fusion drive to get to the Recovery HD instead of Internet Recovery. BUT, if for some reason the Recovery HD is hosed or not there, that key combination will go to Internet Recovery like jedib0p mentioned. The Alt/Option key will NEVER show the Recovery HD for a Fusion drive.

No Recovery HD on Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.