Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing /Network/Library in 10.7 or later

I've been trying to set up a share point at /Network/Library/ so that the machines in my small business can have access to a handful of shared fonts and preference files. From what I've been able to find online, this looks like this was very easy to do in earlier versions of OS X Server – just needing to check "Use for Shared Library" when setting up the share. But when I've tried to do this, first in 10.7 Server and now 10.8 Server, I haven't been able to figure it out.

More info about my setup: I've got Open Directory set up on the server with the clients pointed to it but logging in with local users. I've got automounts working by clicking "Make available for home directories over AFP" in the share point options. I've figured out how to use Directory Utility to edit the share point name, so I can get it to automount to, say, /Network/Servers/Library/, but no matter what I try I can't get it to mount outside of /Network/Servers/. I've been able to edit /etc/auto_master on a client machine to get it to mount the share at /Network/Library/, but it seems like there should be a centralized approach that I can set up from the server instead of on every single client machine.

I feel like I'm really close, but I just can't figure out this last bit. I'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jesse

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 1:42 PM

4 replies

Jan 27, 2015 5:49 PM in response to Witold Oleksiak

I'm struggling to automatically expose /Network/Library/Fonts or anything under /Network at all in OS X Server 10.10 (Yosemite). Since there's no Workgroup Manager anymore, how do you set up a shared library that will automatically show up under /Network/Library?

Unfortunately I called Apple Enterprise support and the guy had never heard of a networked Library. Is this still possible automatically or do we have to manually configure each client?

Jul 14, 2015 10:04 AM in response to appleculture

I'm currently attempting to migrate from Leopard Server to Yosemite Server and found the interface doesn't have the same easy automount option. Having trawled the web to solve this, I think I have a solution using Witold's response as a big clue. Still testing, but this is what I did.

On a computer that's still bound to Leopard Server (I have Mountain Lion clients) launch /System/Library/CoreServices/Directory Utility.

View the "mounts" in the LDAP node for OD.

I wanted to replicate the Library and Applications automounts, and I found those two entries there (note, they're not in automount, they're in mounts)

So I just took a note of the attributes and values and entered them in to my Yosemite OD node, which went a little something like this:

On the Yosemite Server, launch /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Directory Utility

View the "mounts" (not automount) in node /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1

Unlock using your directory admin credentials

Click on the + at the bottom left of the window

The default attribute is RecordName, the value is blank, type server:/Library (according to your config)

Then click on the + under the list of attributes, and choose VFSLinkDir, put the value in as /Network/Library

Then add the VFSOpts attribute with the value url==afp://;AUTH=NO%20USER%20AUTHENT@server/Library (change server/Library as necessary)

Then add the VFSType attribute with the value url

Finally add the "Native" attrubute as objectClass, with the value mount. When that one is added, click on the attribute and you'll see a little + at the right, add a child value "top" (without quotes)

Click Save. You should see a bunch of other attributes are magically created. You can lock the node now.

Make sure your share is accessible with the "guest" option enabled.

The clients should start picking up these attributes and mounting the Network Library. Mine did anyway.

Sharing /Network/Library in 10.7 or later

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.