Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi. I have an iphone 3gs ios vers 4.1 it was locked to Vodafone but I had them unlock it. Can I update to ios vers 6 and will it still be unlocked. Most apps need vers 4.3 or higher to download. Thanks

Hi, I am new to this forum so please excuse anything I may say that sounds a bit stupid but I am not very technically minded.

I have got an iPhone 3gs ios version 4.1. The phone was locked to Vodafone and I asked them to unlock it which they did. I connected the phone to iTunes and it said congratulations your phone is now unlocked. My new Tesco sim card was accepted and the phone works fine. I have tried to download some apps but they all seem to need a higher version of the ios. iTunes says there is an update for my phone ios version 6. I need to know if I update my phone to this version will my phone still be unlocked and also will the phone continue to work properley. Hope someone can help.

Thanks DaveB

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.1, Unlocked by Vodafone

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 2:39 PM

If it was officially unlocked by Vodaphone, it should remain unlocked when you update the operating system on the iPhone, the current version of which is iOS 6.0.1.

Regards.

7 replies

Dec 4, 2012 2:59 PM in response to DaveB4126

Some people have had problems, but that's been true of every iOS version ever released. The chances are good that things will go smoothly for you.

Note, though, that you cannot downgrade, so you may want to do a bit of research, particularly on the changes in iOS 6 (for instance, Apple no longer bundles the YouTube app and has replaced the Google-based Maps with a service of their own), before you upgrade, just so you're prepared. Note as well that the upgrade will erase your iPhone, so you'll need to have all your apps, media and data synched and backed up to your computer so you can put it back after the upgrade. This support article will probably help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4972

Regards.

Dec 4, 2012 3:37 PM in response to DaveB4126

Happy to have been of help. Hope all goes smoothly.

BTW, for the sake of others who may help you here, it's usually most polite if you mark the post that answered your question as being the one that "solves" it, not your own post. That's how people get points here, if a questioner marks their post as either "helpful" or "solving". It's not an issue for me, but for those just starting out in the forums it may be important to them. See:

https://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/mark.html

and

https://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/reputation.html

Regards.

Dec 6, 2012 2:06 AM in response to varjak paw

Hi varjak paw.

Sorry about that but I thought I had clicked the right "solving" button to indicate you had helped solve my problem but I see now what you mean. I will know for next time so thank you for solving my problem.

Just to let you know I updated my 3Gs iphone to iOS 6.0 successfully with hardly any problems, the phone remained unlocked as you predicted. The only problems are minor, on powerup the screen takes a bit longer before it becomes touch ready (ie. for entering unlock code) and contacts screen takes a bit longer to display otherwise all previous functions and the new functions of iOS 6 work fine.

Regards

DaveB4126

Hi. I have an iphone 3gs ios vers 4.1 it was locked to Vodafone but I had them unlock it. Can I update to ios vers 6 and will it still be unlocked. Most apps need vers 4.3 or higher to download. Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.