Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect to SMB drives in 10.8.2 unless I switch users on my Mac

Hi -

I have a problem since upgrading to Mountain Lion (10.8.2 - I've been hoping updates would fix the problems). I can not connect to the shared servers (SMB drives) at my work from my computer under my regular user name. However, I created a new user on my mac and I can connect through that just fine.

I connect via server name (not IP address). I have no problem connecting, or timing out, or transfering data, which others have had, as long as I use my new user name.

However, if I use my regular user name I can not connect.

I upgraded from 10.6.

I only created the new user after the upgrade and my inability to connect.

The only message I get is that "There was a problem connecting to the server "[server name]") I have tried connecting to the /share, I've tried changing my user names and passwords, I have tried turning on and off "smb share" under Share Settings under preferences. I've tried deleting my keychain info. I've tried connectin to the ip address.

I feel like I have tried everything. I don't want to have to migrate everything from one user on my computer to another. Any suggestions?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 3:30 PM

1 reply

Can't connect to SMB drives in 10.8.2 unless I switch users on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.