Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11: A requested iTunes component is not installed. Please repair and reinstall iTunes. (-42404)

I had installed iTunes 11. But when I opened it, it says: A requested iTunes component is not installed. Please repair and reinstall iTunes. (-42404)

I clicked Okay, then appeared again this message: We could not complete your iTunes Store request. A requiered iTunes compenent is not installed. Please or repair or reinstall iTunes (-42404). There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later.

What should I do? Please help? Thank you 🙂

iPod touch, iOS 6

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:05 PM

7 replies

Dec 5, 2012 12:54 PM in response to w.a.j

That one suggests trouble with your FairPlay.

A complete uninstall prior to the reinstall is worth a crack with that one:

Removing and reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows Vista or Windows 7

(The FairPlay files are not part of the iTunes Program files per se, but rather live down in the Common Files. Hence the requirement to take out the associated software components and ensure that the files have deleted properly too.)

Dec 8, 2012 1:51 AM in response to b noir

Thank you b noir (: But I have done that too so many times, removing all iTunes stuffs and reinstalling them again, but not working. Plus I have updated all the windows updates, like NET framework but but when I removed and reinstalled them again I got different messages:

"The program can't start because AVFoundationCF.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

"iTunes was not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes.

Error 7 (Windows error 126)."

Any ideas? ): I really give up trying to removing and reinstalling them again...

May 18, 2014 10:39 AM in response to w.a.j

This is how I solved the same problem. Received the information from turingtest2. Give this a shot:

I uninstalled all apple applications. Go to Programs and Features in Control Panel. I would click on the "Publisher" tab in the header to sort programs by publisher. Scroll down to Apple Inc. and uninstall every application. Some may not install on the first try. Usually because one of the other application needs to be removed before it. Once everything is uninstalled go to the iTunes website and download the software. It should work fine.

Canuckshaw

iTunes 11: A requested iTunes component is not installed. Please repair and reinstall iTunes. (-42404)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.