Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my phone number greyed out in iMessage?

Recently, iMessage went down for the day and i turned it off. A few days later i turned it back and and everything seemed to be working fine until a friend asked my why he was recieving iMessages fom my Email. My imessage account says that is recieving at 2 addresses, my phone number and my email. My phone number is greyed out and no amount of resets or turning imessage off and on can change it back. I assume this has something to do with my friend having iOS6 and me having 5.1.1 or whatever the one before 6 was.

Are there any cofirmed solutions or should i simply take it to an Apple Store and see if they can fix it?

iPhone 4 (8GB), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:54 PM

Your phone number is supposed to be grayed out under You can be reached by iMessage at. It's grayed out because it's unchangeable.

6 replies

Jul 13, 2014 7:46 AM in response to randers4

so i am currently in Europe and i have my phone on airplane mode and using wifi at the same time. when i immesage people they tell me that they receive messages from me as my email and not my phone number. I went to immessage settings and my phone number is greyed out and my email is solid and checked. How do i ungrey my number so that i can send and receive messages through my phone number and not email? HELP SOS

Why is my phone number greyed out in iMessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.