Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

30GB library shared from central location

I have a 30GB iPhoto library that I'd like to centrally share from my Mac that I'm using as a media server. What is the best way to allow users with iPhoto to access this library and add photos, create albums etc. The users will be my family and they will be accessing this library only while connected to my wireless network in my home.

I tried sharing the entire library from the media server; however, when opening iPhoto on a "client" Mac it sees the shared library but it fails to shows all of the photos when clicking albums.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:35 PM

9 replies

Dec 4, 2012 11:06 PM in response to 105437

Truly, there isn't a good way. iPhoto is not a server app, only one use can access it at a time and a strong warning: If you're trying to edit the Library (that is, make albums, move photos around, keyword, make books or slideshows etc.) or edit individual photos in it via Wireless be very careful. Dropouts are a common fact of wireless networking, and should one occur while the app is writing to the database then your Library will be damaged. Simply, I would not do this with my Libraries.

How are you 'sharing the entire library'?

Dec 5, 2012 8:07 AM in response to Yer_Man

I'm not real concerned about more than one user accessing/editing within the iPhoto library at a time. It's really just my wife and I. We'll know to make sure and not access it at the same time. The media server is backed up via Time machine so less risk.

As far as I can tell there are two ways to "share" the Library.

1) On the media server and in iPhoto, share the entire library

2) Open iPhoto from the client Mac with the Option key held down. Browse and select Library from mounted media server share. Had to tweak the permissions on the Library to allow everyone read/write but it seems to work.

My goal is to get these photos to a central location that is backed up while still maintaining connectivity and add/remove/edit etc. ability to my wife an I.

Thanks!

Dec 5, 2012 8:41 AM in response to 105437

The only way to allow for everyone to add/remove/edit is to have everyone open the Library - that's your option 2. For best results: put it on a disk, formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and set to ignore permissions. (In otherwords, not a start-up disk) Other wise you risk having persistent permissions issues. As for wireless working, well you've been warned.

Regards

TD

Dec 5, 2012 6:21 PM in response to 105437

Okay, I have it set up and both mine and my wife's iPhoto can now open the Library which is located on an external firewire HD. We were careful to test opening once the other was completely out of iPhoto. Works great so far and the speed is surprisingly acceptable once iPhoto loads the Library.

QUESTION: If iPhoto w/shared Library is open on the server but is not being used by anyone, is it okay to open iPhoto w/shared Library on another machine? Reason being is that I'd like to be able to share out this Library from the media server so my Apple TV can use the photos as a screen saver. It appears iPhoto must be running on the media server before Apple TV sees it.

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2012 11:42 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Terence... I actually found a way around this. The iPhoto library is shared between two users one at a time. This works great! Now, as for allowing AppleTV to use the library for screen saver I went to the host Mac where the library is stored and then went to iTunes and told it to share the library via Home Sharing -> Choose Photos to Share and it works great!

30GB library shared from central location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.